Brute and phosphate issues

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have problems with phosphate issues using brute to mix water?? Just checked mine and is .1. Wondering if anyone else has had problems. Will be ordering new filters for the rodi and rechecking

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not, and I actually checked mine a couple of weeks ago and it was at 0.00. Did you clean it with vinegar and water before using it?

roadrashpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cleaned mine like 3 times before I used it and it still had a plastic smell to it. I just went with it and never had an issue but I was a little worried at first.

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to completely empty my holding container about once a year with vinegar just for the added insurance. I need to do that again...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine leached phosphates. :(

kennywiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had several mid-large algae blooms, (brown and GHA), while using one to store RO. I stopped using it and the blooms disappeared.

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine also leeched phosphates so I stopped using it. Picked up a couple 35gal food grade barrels

nwpowell0481

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I "prepped" mine and haven't had any problems. First I cleaned it out with vinegar and RO/DI water. Rinsed with RO/DI and then filled it with RO/DI and let it sit for about 2 weeks. You would be amazed at how affective RO/DI water is at pulling stuff off a surface. It sucks it up like a sponge. After letting it sit for 2 weeks I washed with vinegar and RO/DI water again and then rinsed with RO/DI water again. If I forget to change my filters in time and start to see the TDS reading on my RO/DI output start to increase above 0, I clean with vinegar and RO/DI(after changing my filters), and then rinse with RO/DI. Yes I said RO/DI a lot but thats important because RO water will not have the cleaning affect of RO/DI water.

teddy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use rain barrels, the ro di one stays clean no issues, about every other wk or so the salt on i have to clean out as it has this brown algea like stuff in it yet tests come out that it is fine. was told this is normal for salt water to do and to clean container..

TruRacr314x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinsed mine out with RODI and put them into use. I've tested my RODI phosphates and it is 0....and my tank reads 0 (misleading I know because the algae can be using them up)...so maybe I should test my mixed saltwater as well? I'll give it a test during my WC tomorrow and see.

Swine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang it... That's what I get for blindly trusting others that brutes will be safe... I will check mine too now... Sad face

CreatiVe2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back