Bryopsis AND Dinos....Kill order?

Onthefly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

So, I had some Bryopsis a (and otters macro algae) come in on my clean up crew....

I had been just doing manual removal, but started looking into Fluconazole treating the tank. That was before the "Great Dino Bloom of July 2021". Positive ID of Ostreopsis and Amphidinium (large and small) was made 2 days before my 10 day vacation. Quickly got a UV plumbed to the DT, removed my various filtration mechanisms (ATS, Bioreactor, AWC), started dosing PO4, and NO3, and feeding heavily.....then went on vacation....monitoring from afar via my Apex and web cam. Good news...Ostreopsis appears to be gone, and Amphidinium are greatly reduced...still some on the sand, but rock work is clear. Even better, the corals look great! Best PE I've seen in a long time, colors are popping, etc.

So, my question:

Do I wait for the Dino issue to be fully resolved (I assume another month or two...at which time I was planning to plumb the UV to the sump for "maintenance") before treating the Bryopsis (and algae). Obviously, the algae LOVES the dirty water, so I'd still do the manual removal, etc.

My concern is the turning off of the skimmer and removing the carbon.....during the fluconazole treatment (14 to 21 days). I read several times the the treatment is unaffected by UV.

Thanks for the input!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer the specific question, but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back