Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

JHuneke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the OP .. you turned off your actinic and uv on your lighting. Is this necessary? Because in the FAQ it states no change in lighting , so want to clarify before I start my treatment.
Thanks so much for this thread! Excited to let the carnage ensue!!....

Also.. what is the best way to 'sanitize' my reactor to prevent reintroduction?

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 9 into this experiment and I can say that most of my Bryopsis is dying slowly. It'll be interesting to see how this progress over the next month.

I'm not skimming or running carbon or doing water changes. Only running my filter sock and gfo to help weaken this devil weed.

Since I stopped skimming my Chaeto has come back nicely. Makes me question how I skim.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the OP .. you turned off your actinic and uv on your lighting. Is this necessary? Because in the FAQ it states no change in lighting , so want to clarify before I start my treatment.
Thanks so much for this thread! Excited to let the carnage ensue!!....

I turned mine off because nobody really knew what would or would not effect the meds during the treatment when I first tried this. Since then, it has been tested with the UV and actinics left on an neither has had a negative effect on the treatment.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my skimmer cup off since day one and just letting it overflow into the sump. When should/can I put the cup back on? Should I avoid skimmer until 2 weeks is up?

I put mine back on around day 3-4. Some people have skimmed the entire time and it has still worked for them but others have skimmed too much of the meds out and had to run more treatments.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can dump the media out and put it back online to let the meds flow through the reactor as well to kill any algae that may be in it. If not,I generally just wash things with bleach and water then let it air out before reusing it.

Elwood Dowd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to figure the difference in results. I counted and I'm 10 days in. 10 days in and my bryopsis is 95% dead and gone. I had an absolute infestation. At least 75 of my rock was covered in the stuff.

I went 4 days without a skimmer and didn't have any fish. I also have a 0 nutrient tank. I ran my lights 12 hrs a day.

frenkkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;););)Here's the situation after 7 days!
briopsys is dying ... and coral are all right!
expect other 7 days!

IMG_5232.JPG

IMG_5258.JPG

Elwood Dowd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got an awesome text from my kid while I am at work.

Kid: "Dad? What are these long brown strings with a bubble on the tip inside of your aquarium?"
me: "Really!??"
Kid: "Yes, some of them have 2 or 3 bubbles though and a couple have 4 or 5 bubbles"
Me: " probably a thing called dinos............"

Apparently they are only in places that have remaining strands of nearly dead bryopsis. Also she said all of my "Big snails" Mexican turbos, are eating it.

Curse me...

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got an awesome text from my kid while I am at work.

Kid: "Dad? What are these long brown strings with a bubble on the tip inside of your aquarium?"
me: "Really!??"
Kid: "Yes, some of them have 2 or 3 bubbles though and a couple have 4 or 5 bubbles"
Me: " probably a thing called dinos............"

Apparently they are only in places that have remaining strands of nearly dead bryopsis. Also she said all of my "Big snails" Mexican turbos, are eating it.

Curse me...
Haha haha!

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the 6th day now and it's working a treat. Before
795e105bc08b99de28f968309031b4b5.jpg
today
a1564ef1a34c07af80cdd3f41e4d047e.jpg

Before
797621ea3594e480662a86ae3b01ff64.jpg
33a6359ee1ff235b63f3c36948b68f60.jpg
today
3a644b3870ecd90b7f30d100f6bde21a.jpg
8cacc0fb39858eac049f4882cf7329de.jpg
I have had my skimmer cup off since day one and just letting it overflow into the sump. When should/can I put the cup back on? Should I avoid skimmer until 2 weeks is up?
I think the jury is still out on this skimmer question. I put mine back on at day 8 and wish I had waited it out. Others turned it back on within 24-48 hours and were fine. If you have a ton of bry and especially gha I would leave it off.

Elwood Dowd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha haha!
I'm not currently laughing.

This is how I feel

Sure, get rid of your bryopsis with fluconazol. Of course, you will get Dino's from it. But no worries, all you have to do is use 1 mantis shrimp per 20 gallons and they will get rid of the Dino's.

But how do I get rid of the mantis shrimp?

Oh that's easy, introduce bryopsis to your tank. It's poison to mantis shrimp.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is how I feel

Sure, get rid of your bryopsis with fluconazol. Of course, you will get Dino's from it. But no worries, all you have to do is use 1 mantis shrimp per 20 gallons and they will get rid of the Dino's.

But how do I get rid of the mantis shrimp?

Oh that's easy, introduce bryopsis to your tank. It's poison to mantis shrimp.
Oh no! Thought you said the Mexican turbo were eating it... might have read that wrong. I have killed dinos before with h202 treatments. It took a few weeks as I had a lot but it worked. If you only have a few small spots I would vacuum it up and spot treat with h202

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, get rid of your bryopsis with fluconazol. Of course, you will get Dino's from it.

You didn't get dinos from Fluconazole and nobody else will either. You introduced dinos into you tank from your rocks or frags or snails or something else that you brought into your system but I can promise you it wasn't included in one of your flucon capsules. A sudden change in your systems nutrient levels are more than likely the culprit for bringing out your dinos from their dormant/cysts stage. I've been dealing with them before I ever started my flucon treatment and I think they came out while dropping my nitrates down quickly but not my po4 levels.

Good luck with your dino battle though,it's no picnic.

Bill Sullivan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dosing Mar 5, 2017. I ordered fluconazole on line and received a generic. I will attempt to post a pic taken the day before treatment, 5 days after and 10 days after the start. I will be discontinuing it tomorrow with water change adding gfo, carbon etc.,the 14 days ends tomorrow. It has worked great.
IMG_1431.JPG
IMG_1447.JPG
IMG_1484.JPG

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dosing Mar 5, 2017. I ordered fluconazole on line and received a generic. I will attempt to post a pic taken the day before treatment, 5 days after and 10 days after the start. I will be discontinuing it tomorrow with water change adding gfo, carbon etc.,the 14 days ends tomorrow. It has worked great.
IMG_1431.JPG
IMG_1447.JPG
IMG_1484.JPG

That's great Bill!! I'm glad the treatment worked for you.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shouldn't have said brought on by fluconazol. I should have said brought on by the release of nutrients because of dead bryopsis.

That was supposed to be comedy also. dry, I know.

It's okay I know tone is lost in print....You would be surprised though the number of people that would read it and not want to try the treatment from fear of getting dinos. :)

Elwood Dowd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluconazol has absolutely worked. Hopefully the dinos are controllable when I get home in the morning. Oh I hope its not bad.

I am certain where this all came from by the way. all of this bad stuff started happening one week after a single coral addition. It is the only time I have ever used this dealer. It will also be the only/last.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back