Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

BillH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not saying this could be common for everyone or everyones setup, but here is my conclusion with a heavy display macro tank connected to my main DT, really depends on your macro's. it decimated my feather caulerpa, thinned out a lot of my grape caulerpa, no affect on cheato, 100% death to euchema, partial die off of sargassum, partial die off of ulva, chondria about 90% die off, zero affect on any calcarious mracos's. so basically if you know you have some delicate macro's REMOVE THEM. I purposely left some of each of mine in to test and im glad I removed the more delicate varieties. Oh and the Hypnea pannosa took a hard hit. But they all look like they are rebounding. Edited to add I did the standard 200mg per 10g in a 150 system. I have an attached 40 gallon display macro tank that was included in the total volume dosed.

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome Treatment awesome thread, worked wonders for me; outbreak had not gotten bad, no more than a quarter inch in a few spots, was dosing Vibrant for about two months had gone through 1 bottle. I ordered another and the Flucon, dosed 4000mg the first day then 800mg more two days later. At day five almost all gone and rocks that were not affected even look better. Put 1 in the win column for Reefers

Sharkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dosed 4000mg the first day then 800mg more two days later. At day five almost all gone and rocks that were not affected even look better. Put 1 in the win column for Reefers

Black Pearl you dosed that quickly back to back? I haven't read anyone else doing this. Did you have any issues with other things and were you concerned with overdosing? I'm not sure if you can over dose or not with this med? NCreeguy and prsnlty your thoughts on this? I'm infested pretty bad and I'm on day two now. Wondering if I should follow Black Pearl :)

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black Pearl you dosed that quickly back to back? I haven't read anyone else doing this. Did you have any issues with other things and were you concerned with overdosing? I'm not sure if you can over dose or not with this med? NCreeguy and prsnlty your thoughts on this? I'm infested pretty bad and I'm on day two now. Wondering if I should follow Black Pearl :)
Honestly, speaking for myself, I'm not sure. We have all been learning the do's and don'ts as this was an accidental discovery. I do know that one of our members misread the instructions and dosed every day and on his 7th day posted how it was killing his inhabitants and corals... then we figured out why. He thought he was supposed to dose once a day for 14 days because he quickly skimmed through the instructions/ fluconazole 200mg, 20mg per gallon, 14 days....he missed the part that you only dose once.

It is possible I suppose, to dose a 2nd time a few days following the original dose but I believe he is the 1st to try it.

Edited to add: please notice that all that he dosed was only his 1 time full dosage split up. This was on 240g which is 4800mg. He did not dose extra or twice his dosage.

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dosing was attributed to the fact that I initially only ordered a 20 pack and I feared under dosing. My system total fluid volume is around 240 gal, that's minus rocks and sump equipment. So I reordered another 30 caps to have enough on hand for a second dose if needed, received it two days after the fist order. it worked pretty quick, so I don't know if that split in dosage had any effect or not. Skimmer off, socks removed,carbon off line, ATS off line, still dosing Vibrant every 4th day.Good Luck

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread below regarding Flucon for algae use is quite entertaining in multiple ways. Reef2Reef shares links and information without a problem, and we can see demand for that management style to be increasing not decreasing across forums.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2628444

Those who need to know about flucon will just google key terms and wind up here at R2r that's awesome. what a great site we have, free information traders we are, R2R is in high demand for innovation and participation style from its posters. That thread shows resounding good outcome for flucon use just the same as we read it here in this thread.

I cannot wait to see 5 yr updates of some of the more pronounced turnarounds in this thread at r2r. clearly the skeptics validly want to see coral sustenance long term, and growback control long term. those with the wrecked tanks were thankful for even the short term :)

magnesium and/or the touted ghost additive I never believed was in Tech M is hitherto dethroned until something better than flucon comes along. For instances where the water must be dosed with something vs direct action, FLCN is reigning champ it seems. nice going.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread below regarding Flucon for algae use is quite entertaining in multiple ways. Reef2Reef shares links and information without a problem, and we can see demand for that management style to be increasing not decreasing across forums.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2628444

Those who need to know about flucon will just google key terms and wind up here at R2r that's awesome. what a great site we have, free information traders we are, R2R is in high demand for innovation and participation style from its posters. That thread shows resounding good outcome for flucon use just the same as we read it here in this thread.

I cannot wait to see 5 yr updates of some of the more pronounced turnarounds in this thread at r2r. clearly the skeptics validly want to see coral sustenance long term, and growback control long term. those with the wrecked tanks were thankful for even the short term :)

Yeah I've seen our pictures and posts showing up all over the internet. The word is definitely getting around. :)

Pruett-nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah @NCreefguy your mentioned on a youtube video about this and I did a search and it pointed me to your thread . @Sharkz I didn't see results till like day 4 and I turned my white lights up a little . I went home yesterday and said omg it's literally vanishing . Amazing and thank you @NCreefguy for this post.

Sharkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses everyone. I did mis read Black Pearl post. I thought he double dosed my mistake :oops:. I'm just going to let mine be. I'm on day 2 and have seen quite a bit of algae floating in the water column. Also emptied out my socks yesterday that had quite a bit of algae in them. And for what its worth I'm using the mesh filters which are 225 Micron i believe. I wasn't going to run any but glad I did after seeing all that algae in them. Good stuff so far. I'll be posting pictures once the 21 day cycle is done.

Idaho-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, speaking for myself, I'm not sure. We have all been learning the do's and don'ts as this was an accidental discovery. I do know that one of our members misread the instructions and dosed every day and on his 7th day posted how it was killing his inhabitants and corals... then we figured out why. He thought he was supposed to dose once a day for 14 days because he quickly skimmed through the instructions/ fluconazole 200mg, 20mg per gallon, 14 days....he missed the part that you only dose once.

It is possible I suppose, to dose a 2nd time a few days following the original dose but I believe he is the 1st to try it.

Edited to add: please notice that all that he dosed was only his 1 time full dosage split up. This was on 240g which is 4800mg. He did not dose extra or twice his dosage.

After a few weeks now of my super dose x7 extra of fluconizole (4200mg instead of 600) I am happy to report briopsis free and many of my corals recovered and are looking great! For the shear extra amount I dosed and didn't have a total loss, I feel the actual recommended dose is completely safe. I have seen a few threads worrying about dosing too much effect on corals etc. I wouldn't hesitate to do the 20mg per gallon, it worked fantastic.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a few weeks now of my super dose x7 extra of fluconizole (4200mg instead of 600) I am happy to report briopsis free and many of my corals recovered and are looking great! For the shear extra amount I dosed and didn't have a total loss, I feel the actual recommended dose is completely safe. I have seen a few threads worrying about dosing too much effect on corals etc. I wouldn't hesitate to do the 20mg per gallon, it worked fantastic.
That's terrific news congrats!!

trill22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me if Fluconazole is safe to use in a tank with Seahorses and pipe fish? I have read in this and other threads safe for all fish, coral and inverts but I cannot find any info specific to them.

I also couldn't find anything specific to seahorses. But the bryopsis was getting out of control in my tank, so I treated at 200mg/10g as suggested. My seahorses weren't in perfect health to begin with (obviously phosphates were increased since the bryopsis was thriving!) but all were eating well and swimming around as usual.

I can't say it was the fluconazole specifically that caused problems, but I lost all 4 of my seahorses within the first week of treatment.

I had no other losses for fish, inverts, corals, etc - and I treated 3 tanks.

JHuneke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also couldn't find anything specific to seahorses. But the bryopsis was getting out of control in my tank, so I treated at 200mg/10g as suggested. My seahorses weren't in perfect health to begin with (obviously phosphates were increased since the bryopsis was thriving!) but all were eating well and swimming around as usual.

I can't say it was the fluconazole specifically that caused problems, but I lost all 4 of my seahorses within the first week of treatment.

I had no other losses for fish, inverts, corals, etc - and I treated 3 tanks.

Oh geez.. :( I just treated my pony tank yesterday w 20mg/gal ! I couldn't find any prior sh treatment either.. so went on faith I guess.
Will update as I go .. but for now all are fine and eating. Fingers crossed!
I'm sorry to hear your loss :(

Elwood Dowd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a light dose. It's my second round. 15 mg per gallon. I spot treated with a syringe into recesses and cavities in my live rock that WERE harbingers of bryopsis. It was purely a maintenance thing. I couldnt see any bryopsis remaining but figured a light second dose 16 days later and during a WC wouldn't hurt. 2 hours with return pump off and no power heads. 800 mg into 2 cups of water. I only used 30ml spot treating. The rest of the dose I put in with my new water while it mixed with salt.

Anyhow, I hope this is the long term cure. Thanks folks

MikenGabriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... got mine in today. 20mg per 1 gallon of water correct? 1 time dose of that, correct? Then wait 10 to 14 days for results, correct. The packets I got in the mail or 200mg a piece. I sliced the top off of one and poured just enough into a glass filled with fresh saltwater. Sorry after 167 pages here that I have gone through... I was getting a bit confused. I have a little 3 gallon JBJ cubey. 1 fish : Mandarin Dragonet and Los, 2 sps and leather corals. The GHA has gotten way out of hand since I feed reef roids to my corals for a little over a week now. Hoping I did this right?
Skimmer is turned down, no GFO, Carbon bags or anything else except NOPOX treatment.Now I go 14 days till results? I bought way to much of this stuff... lol

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... got mine in today. 20mg per 1 gallon of water correct? 1 time dose of that, correct? Then wait 10 to 14 days for results, correct. The packets I got in the mail or 200mg a piece. I sliced the top off of one and poured just enough into a glass filled with fresh saltwater. Sorry after 167 pages here that I have gone through... I was getting a bit confused. I have a little 3 gallon JBJ cubey. 1 fish : Mandarin Dragonet and Los, 2 sps and leather corals. The GHA has gotten way out of hand since I feed reef roids to my corals for a little over a week now. Hoping I did this right?
Skimmer is turned down, no GFO, Carbon bags or anything else except NOPOX treatment.Now I go 14 days till results? I bought way to much of this stuff... lol

Correct it's 20mg per gallon in a one time dose. You may have to wait longer for it to kill your gha. It has taken some people around a month or even a second dose depending on how much algae you have. I would wait at least 14-21 days after you dose before doing anything else and see how things are looking.You can run your GFO if you want to help remove some of the extra po4 from the die off.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back