Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The short answer is YES, there is some risk for corals. I haven't read about any troubles with fish. We have not determined WHY -- for a small portion of users -- it wipes out stony corals. But it certainly can.

I would not suggest using it to treat anything other than bryopsis. People use it to kill off algae sometimes. To me, that is being lazy or impatient.

For those with bryopsis, well, you don't have any choice really.
Do you know how immediate the effect is? Do you think a half dose at first for a week or two would be indicator enough if it is detrimental to your system? Here's a pic of what I'm working with, I believe it to be bryopsis
IMG_20220504_213452877.jpg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the healthiest looking sample, but yeah that looks like bryopsis.

I would just follow the directions honestly. Eight or nine times out of 10, people don't have a bad outcome. And those that do have a problem, it seems to be only the stony corals take the hit.

Once you dose, if you see something seriously bad going down, SHUT THE LIGHTS OFF. Then go ahead and add GAC and do a good size water change.

Fluc only works during active photosynthesis, so shutting down the lights should help slow things down. Further to this, make sure ALL the bryopsis is getting solid light exposure. The shaded stuff won't be killed.

Cheezle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could any one help ID this and tell me if its bryopsis? I battled dinos, then cyano popped up and is on its way out and now this garbage is popping up every where. I cut it down and it comes back with a vengeance. I think its GHA but I honestly can't tell because it looks like fern as well. I've had dinos twice but have never dealt with algae like this :confounded-face:

Not sure if its needed but my tank is about 7 months old and my parameters (tested yesterday) are..
Ph 7.8
Kh 8.7
Nitrate 10
Phosphate 0.25
Calcium 420
Magnesium 1450
0 Nitrite and Ammonia

1653332918507.png
1653333189495.png
1653333270159.png

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to see in mass like that. Take a piece out as stated above, put on some white paper and take a picture. May help identify. Also, does it look like fern type leaves are coming off of it? That is usually a dead give away briopsis.

Cheezle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to see in mass like that. Take a piece out as stated above, put on some white paper and take a picture. May help identify. Also, does it look like fern type leaves are coming off of it? That is usually a dead give away briopsis.
PXL_20220525_015110868.jpg
PXL_20220523_023312046.jpg

Took a pic of it on a paper towel and it mats up into those balls of gunk

Cheezle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flux rx is easier than reef flux, breaking open the capsules sucks

Appreciate the pro tip, just purchased some Flux Rx to treat my 20 gallon, time to figure out how to dose and all that jazz. Not gonna lie, this is pretty demoralizing. In the last 2 months I've gone from a dino outbreak that I combated with live phyto and dirtying up the water to red and green slime to an absolute outbreak of this bryopsis.

Ah well, no one said this hobby was an easy one so to those who share a similar misery, don't give up! lol

1653500733477.png
1653500829176.png
1653501074178.png

Thanks again everyone!!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the pro tip, just purchased some Flux Rx to treat my 20 gallon, time to figure out how to dose and all that jazz. Not gonna lie, this is pretty demoralizing. In the last 2 months I've gone from a dino outbreak that I combated with live phyto and dirtying up the water to red and green slime to an absolute outbreak of this bryopsis.

Ah well, no one said this hobby was an easy one so to those who share a similar misery, don't give up! lol

1653500733477.png
1653500829176.png
1653501074178.png

Thanks again everyone!!
Dry rock start?

In all the years I have been in the hobby, and many tanks. Using dry rock was the hands down absolute worse thing I ever did.

I will never use dry rock again. It works, just have to go through so much headache, and the "maturing" process takes way longer.

I never had dino's with live rock.

Cheezle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rock start?

In all the years I have been in the hobby, and many tanks. Using dry rock was the hands down absolute worse thing I ever did.

I will never use dry rock again. It works, just have to go through so much headache, and the "maturing" process takes way longer.

I never had dino's with live rock.

Yup, started with dry rock. This is my very first tank that I started this past October and so far I think I've spent 4 of my 7 months battling dinos. Nasty stuff.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to tell you, but you got about another 7 to go before it might stabilize.

Another thing that bothers me about dry rock.....

No matter how old it is, if you flip it over, it's still white! The side that sees no light, will remain white/brown.

Cheezle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL funny you say that.. My pistol shrimp buried some of my rock and I get to see the bright white and dull browns every now and then whenever he decides to renovate. I always thought it was pretty funny but it turns out the jokes on me
Dj Khaled GIF

JachPot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I had a nasty case of Bryopsis in my 13.5 Eco. I used one 10 capsule of container for 10 days (1 capsule per day) and let it sit for 4 days after. Then I did a water change and added back in a copius amount of carbon. I'm not sure if it's related or not, but my birdsnest starting dying probably about day 8-9. It got about halfway dead by the time I did the big water change and added carbon. It *Seems* to be holding steady and recovering. I'm keeping an eye on it.

The bryopsis on the other hand is completely gone. I'm flabbergasted this stuff worked this well and it was well worth the birdsnest if I unfortunately lose it. My other SPS,LPS,softies seem to be 100% fine.

Cheezle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little progress so far.. I pulled a ton from the tank before I dosed, but we're about 3 days in and I like what I'm seeing. This stuff is turning to ash and isn't growing back like it was before. I have a 20 gallon tank and only dosed as if it were 15 gallons since I have so much rock, but I'm leaning towards dosing another scoop since 3 has worked so well. Fluconazole is the real deal

1654031092252.png

1654031177946.png

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If my tank isn't that infected, can I get away with just scrubbing away the bulk of it forever? Or am I just delaying the inevitable and it'll have to be dosed. Very nervous about losing my sticks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 52.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.5%
Back