Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC_0539.jpg
DSC_0541.jpg
DSC_0535.jpg
this stuff is taking over two of my four tanks..the two that troubled i just started brs gfo, carb four months ago, just changed from mh to t5 on them also..i have never had anything like this before, it seems to fuel it when you scrub it. Temp..76-77..mag..1450..cal..460..alk..9..po4 .25 po3 20 its like hair and slime like..any help would be great

XCrunnr36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
two remedies that i've found to help battle that stuff:

1st is what i'm sure most guys would recommend on here and that's gradually increasing your magnesium to around 1650 for about 2 weeks

2nd being a product from microbe lift called Special Blend. I run a small lfs and I've had great results with it in my tanks and in clients. It's a bacteria that really tears that stuff up.

hope it helps!

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So hair algae can cover a 125gal rocks and sand in a few days?

If sufficient amount of nutrients are presents, yes. Your po4 is .25 and should be around .03 so that is a huge issue right there. With po4 that high I would change out the GFO at least every week at first and then test your po4 frequently. The GFO can get exhausted very quickly(even a couple days) and not be able to absorb any more po4 when it is that high. your po4 are essentially 8x higher than you want them.

antdizzle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not bryopsis, and i dont agree with it having fren like tips... I had a monster outbreak of bryopsis... and the only sure fire way to rid urself of it should you ever get it is a NASO TANG, they love the stuff. I will supply you with a pic of it.
macro coral shots : reeftranquility on Photoswarm
look in back ground behind and next to coral

gilmour01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all the bryopsis i've seen had a fern-like appearance. do a google image search and compare what you have in your tank to it. its hard to tell what that is in those pics.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not bryopsis, and i dont agree with it having fren like tips... I had a monster outbreak of bryopsis... and the only sure fire way to rid urself of it should you ever get it is a NASO TANG, they love the stuff. I will supply you with a pic of it.
macro coral shots : reeftranquility on Photoswarm
look in back ground behind and next to coral

The algae in that pic to the left of the coral and behind it is NOT bryopsis.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank's...is phos buster worth using?

Any kind of GFO will work. I used the BRS stuff, but they all work.I never tried phosbuster but I am certain it has lanthanum cholride in it. I have some experience using pure lanthanum chloride and it works VERY well but you need to have it removed with mechanical filtration. If you do not know enough about lanthanum chloride I would just use GFO if I was you to start.

antdizzle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im sorry i confused 2 algaes, i had dictoya that is briopsis. I confused the 2 as i was fighting both at one time ion my reef

OP
OP
Reef lvr

Reef lvr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your help everybody!!! I have had lil blooms here and there that was hair, but none like this..I guess there are diff kinds though

OP
OP
Reef lvr

Reef lvr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If sufficient amount of nutrients are presents, yes. Your po4 is .25 and should be around .03 so that is a huge issue right there. With po4 that high I would change out the GFO at least every week at first and then test your po4 frequently. The GFO can get exhausted very quickly(even a couple days) and not be able to absorb any more po4 when it is that high. your po4 are essentially 8x higher than you want them.
So i had my po4 tested via photometer and was told it was .07..I just dont get it, is there something else that could be fueling this stuff that im not testing for? Years back i had high po3 and struggled with po4 and never delt with whatever this is. Can bryopsis outbreak in a lower nutrient system? Should i be dosing some kind of bacteria? Should i lower photo period after switching from mh to t5's? Probly sound crazy, just going crazy..I dont run gfo or t5's on the two tanks that are not having this issue.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm. Now that is odd. I use a hanna meter and my po4 are always in the .03-.07 range. When I had bryopsis I had po4 bound up in the rocks and sand. I made the mistake of going from a fowlr setup that used tap water and left the rocks and sand in and just stated with a massive ro/di water change but the rocks and sand kept leaching it out. I didn't have a hanna meter when I had it but my tests all said zero for po4. The general thought with po4 is sometimes if you have a bad enough algae or byopsis outbreak it will consume the po4 faster and therefore test will read zero even though you have elevated levels in your system. I am not sure if that applies to a hanna meter or not to be honest.

110reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really have byropsis I have found that you can do pretty much anything you want water quality-wise and it won't go away. I had it growing on powerheads, which clearly were not leaching phosphates. If it is byropsis, save yourself the trouble of figuring out why it is there, and how you can add equipment to get rid of it, or what predators will eat it or what chemicals you can add to get rid of it, or if you pull it out will it go away..... I played all those games for a year and a half, spent as lot of money, and got very frustrated and disgusted. Do yourself a favor and just do the Tech M thing. It will save you money, aggravation, and it works. I wish I did it a long time ago.

Then you can enjoy your reef. If you need to improve your water quality, then by all means do it, but don't do it to eradicate byropsis....

So i had my po4 tested via photometer and was told it was .07..I just dont get it, is there something else that could be fueling this stuff that im not testing for? Years back i had high po3 and struggled with po4 and never delt with whatever this is. Can bryopsis outbreak in a lower nutrient system? Should i be dosing some kind of bacteria? Should i lower photo period after switching from mh to t5's? Probly sound crazy, just going crazy..I dont run gfo or t5's on the two tanks that are not having this issue.

110reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have anything that will eat algae? Like a tang or something? I think the Tech M weakens the stuff, then the algae grazers take it out, at least that is my theory. If it has turned brown, it should be going away.

What is your mag at?

i have been doesing tech m for two weeks, not much has changed, most of it has truned brown, and the lr have a whiteish tint to them....

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back