BTA ate a dead fish⁉️☠️

Daddio64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I feed the tank I give a squirt by the BTA he gets plenty. I also give him large Mysis once in a while. He just got a squirt of my feed concoction. Scoly and Cyna get large Mysis too, you can see Scoly wants some.
16955967437894313912990673047469.jpg
16955965716024936004283914566503.jpg

Luvspinball

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 anemones, and the smallest is probably 12" in diameter. Moved around a bit early on, but none of them have moved in over a year. And none has ever decided to munch on any of the 30 or so fish in the tank. Granted, I have a few large fish in there (angels, tangs) but lots of smaller ones too (damsels, wrasses, etc.). Broadcast feed frozen mysis every day, but once a week I will drop a frozen chunk on each of the anemones so they stay happy. And hopefully less carnivorous. 6" clown feeds 3 of them as well as she moves between them.
Bob

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They can eat quite a bit I fed a 7 inch discus that was freshly dead to a large carpet anemone. By the next day only the skeleton. Was left which I removed. Anemones can and do kill fish however I would say it’s not that common for bta‘

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure fish commit suicide…..
I looked into it after my aging royal gramma ended up that way... I knew it was on its way out and found sources that said fish will sometimes to this. I'll see if I can find the sources but it's been a while.

DHouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like another nem to the right? They can be problematic with fish in small tanks. Rather than a dory you probably should have gotten a Nemo ;)

EDIT : love the cleaner shrimp trying to figure out how to get in on the meal. They're theiving little SOBs.
I cannot stand the two cleaner shrimp in my reef tank! Always crawling all over my corals keeping them closed up and stealing food (I have a big long tentacled anemone and they have no problem going in being thieving little bast… never mind) but they definitely have an important role in the success of your reef or FOWLER tank!

OP
OP
Newreefmama

Newreefmama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: thank you all for your advice and input!!! The BTA spit out the fish about 7 hours after eating it. The fish was whole but had no color, very little meat and the fins, etc were skeletal.

leon.1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was probably already dead then. Anemones being completely amorphous can move and stretch its body in crazy ways. That mouth may appear small but it can stretch a ton.

As a side note I'd feed your BTA every week or so with some small bits of seafood.
Do you suggest this because it’s a smaller tank?
I haven’t fed my BTA once. Of course he’s now hosting but even before he was. Now I have 5 btas about 8 months later and trying to figure out how to get them out so I can trade for frags. Lol.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you suggest this because it’s a smaller tank?
I haven’t fed my BTA once. Of course he’s now hosting but even before he was. Now I have 5 btas about 8 months later and trying to figure out how to get them out so I can trade for frags. Lol.
I just think it’s good for growth and color and hopefully general health.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back