BTA ate a dead fish⁉️☠️

Newreefmama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefers, what in the what is going on here!

We have a BioCube32 which has been humming along beautifully for a few months. (still young, I know) Because my small children insisted, we got a “Dory” (blue tang) for the tank from our highly knowledgeable fish shop owner, with the agreement that when she got outgrew our tank, we would return her to the shop.

This morning my husband found dear Dory dead and 90% ingested by our seemingly innocent, darling BTA named Lilly. ⁉️⁉️ I didn’t realize BTAs were carnivores!!! Lilly is all closed up now digesting Dory, but the evidence is still there. (See tail hanging out if Lilly’s mouth)

What do you think will happen now? Will the BTA actually digest the fish? Spit it out? How should we proceed? THANK YOU!!!!

IMG_0129.jpeg
IMG_0139.jpeg

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones are most definitely carnivores (with a bonus energy source from photosynthesis through a symbiotic algae). Those stings aren't just for defense. It is unlikely it would kill a healthy blue tang but a dead or unhealthy one is most certainly on the menu. No matter how knowledgeable a fish shop owner appears to be it is a good idea to google something before buying. The dangers of a BTA would show up.

OP
OP
Newreefmama

Newreefmama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I truly had no idea! I could imagine her (Lilly, the BTA) eating something smaller, but this tang was significantly larger than her. I’m just shocked. And to think our clean up crew (emerald crabs, hermit crabs, etc) were the ones cleaning up the other casualties we’ve had!!!
Thank you!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like another nem to the right? They can be problematic with fish in small tanks. Rather than a dory you probably should have gotten a Nemo ;)

EDIT : love the cleaner shrimp trying to figure out how to get in on the meal. They're theiving little SOBs.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I truly had no idea! I could imagine her (Lilly, the BTA) eating something smaller, but this tang was significantly larger than her. I’m just shocked. And to think our clean up crew (emerald crabs, hermit crabs, etc) were the ones cleaning up the other casualties we’ve had!!!
Thank you!
It was probably already dead then. Anemones being completely amorphous can move and stretch its body in crazy ways. That mouth may appear small but it can stretch a ton.

As a side note I'd feed your BTA every week or so with some small bits of seafood.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, while I knew that this could happen I have never actually seen it :) While I can appreciate that it is not a nice thing when it happens to your fish, nature really is impressive sometimes!

Thanks for sharing- and sorry for your loss. :crying-face:

OP
OP
Newreefmama

Newreefmama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like another nem to the right? They can be problematic with fish in small tanks. Rather than a dory you probably should have gotten a Nemo ;)

EDIT : love the cleaner shrimp trying to figure out how to get in on the meal. They're theiving little SOBs.
Hahahaha Spikey out cleaner shrimp was all up in there trying to get a piece of the “action” or more likely, a piece of Dory.

We do have two clownfish (Peppa and George) but they haven’t taken to any corals or anemones, they just do their own thing ‍‍‍

OP
OP
Newreefmama

Newreefmama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, while I knew that this could happen I have never actually seen it :) While I can appreciate that it is not a nice thing when it happens to your fish, nature really is impressive sometimes!

Thanks for sharing- and sorry for your loss. :crying-face:
The live action footage we have of this mini reef is insane!! Happy to share!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple things not mentioned. One, the anemone probably can't handle that large of a meal, and will eventually spit it out. You'll need to remove the remains.

Second, something caused that fish to die and most likely the rest of your fish are now at risk.

OP
OP
Newreefmama

Newreefmama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple things not mentioned. One, the anemone probably can't handle that large of a meal, and will eventually spit it out. You'll need to remove the remains.

Second, something caused that fish to die and most likely the rest of your fish are now at risk.
Thank you! We’ll keep an eye out for regurgitated Dory ✅ That fish was brand new to our tank (maybe 3 days in?) so hopefully it was an isolated incident. We’ll watch everyone else closely, thank you the reminder.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! We’ll keep an eye out for regurgitated Dory ✅ That fish was brand new to our tank (maybe 3 days in?) so hopefully it was an isolated incident. We’ll watch everyone else closely, thank you the reminder.
Sometimes a dying fish will swim into a nem to be eaten...

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your loss. I suspect it’s a tragic accident as Dory was likely flying around and got trapped in the tentacles.

I have 3 ginormous Haddoni carpets so always weary of fish becoming their dinner friends. Outside of some tangs, I don’t put other expensive fish in the same tank.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the nem expert but from what I know, nems are carnivores. Research their care and many feed their nems chunks of seafood, without direct feeding I'm not sure how long they last. Don't keep any small perching fish that may decide to take a little break perching on one, or even a healthy fish will be eaten.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the nem expert but from what I know, nems are carnivores. Research their care and many feed their nems chunks of seafood, without direct feeding I'm not sure how long they last. Don't keep any small perching fish that may decide to take a little break perching on one, or even a healthy fish will be eaten.
I've had BTA for years and never directly feed them. If you do, it should be small things like mysis, never chunks, and usually once every week or 2.

That is a BTA, one of the green /acid variety. It does however look somewhat bleached. I would feed as recommended above and ensure it's getting the proper lighting.

When / if you do decide to feed, never force it. If it's not catching on its own don't try to encourage.

OP
OP
Newreefmama

Newreefmama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had BTA for years and never directly feed them. If you do, it should be small things like mysis, never chunks, and usually once every week or 2.

That is a BTA, one of the green /acid variety. It does however look somewhat bleached. I would feed as recommended above and ensure it's getting the proper lighting.

When / if you do decide to feed, never force it. If it's not catching on its own don't try to encourage.
This is great advice, thank you! She has white tentacles, etc but her body is bright pink! She moved to a shady spot a few weeks ago and has stayed there. Should I encourage her to go closer to the lights? THANK YOU!!!

Pic of my very carnivorous BTA on her original perch

Attachments

• IMG_8535.jpeg
    IMG_8535.jpeg
    242.3 KB · Views: 41

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great advice, thank you! She has white tentacles, etc but her body is bright pink! She moved to a shady spot a few weeks ago and has stayed there. Should I encourage her to go closer to the lights? THANK YOU!!!

Pic of my very carnivorous BTA on her original perch
I don't ever recommend getting hands on unless to move to a different tank. They have a mind of their own and will go where they want.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back