BTA help

Costareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s dead siphon it out try not to stir it up. Make sure it’s dead though and not just dramatically expelling waste

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they slimming? Let's see what your dealing with, history, lights? I usually pull the rock and suspend them over a bucket or bowl of water they will stretch and drop. But it can be a long process. Tried the ice, the power heads and tickling the foot. The suspend works best for me.

OP
OP
Bassmaster116

Bassmaster116

IDK what im doing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i got then both out just now they both went from 8” (pictured in my avatar) to about 6” up untill this week. came home today and they both lost color and mouth was gaping and they were slimy. just took my turkey baster and blasted the foot they both came off pretty easy doing WC now as i lost a clown already...

image.jpg

OP
OP
Bassmaster116

Bassmaster116

IDK what im doing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other question, i have 3 others in the tank. 2 of which are doing great but they are also smaller and were added much more recent along with the other large one that is still in the tank. Will those two dying affect the others? should i pull the others and put them in QT?

OP
OP
Bassmaster116

Bassmaster116

IDK what im doing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im so bummed i lost em. These were my very first two from Aqua SD. It split when i first got it into about teo 4” and they doubled in size and were my favorite thing in my tank untill i moved from the 40b to my 75g...:(

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im so bummed i lost em. These were my very first two from Aqua SD. It split when i first got it into about teo 4” and they doubled in size and were my favorite thing in my tank untill i moved from the 40b to my 75g...:(
Do they stink? You would know for sure if they were dying from the smell and falling apart

OP
OP
Bassmaster116

Bassmaster116

IDK what im doing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they stink? You would know for sure if they were dying from the smell and falling apart
yea pretty bad thats how i noticed my clown walked downstairs could smell something funny my skimmer was also going crazy i then saw the clown and one of the nems hanging off the rock.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea pretty bad thats how i noticed my clown walked downstairs could smell something funny my skimmer was also going crazy i then saw the clown and one of the nems hanging off the rock.
Strange, bta's are usually pretty hearty creatures. Have you done anything out of the norm to the tank or around the tank in the last few days?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Take a water sample to a trusted LFS and have water tested . I suspect Low salinity, high ammonia and nitrite and possibly inadequate filtration/water movement without seeing a picture.
If you can smell them this morning, do an immediate water change and add carbon.

OP
OP
Bassmaster116

Bassmaster116

IDK what im doing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange, bta's are usually pretty hearty creatures. Have you done anything out of the norm to the tank or around the tank in the last few days?
Nope, tank was moved from a 40b to 75g a month ago using everything exsisting. Only thing new was sand, and new sump. used about 20-30 gallons of water from old tank, all the rock and bio filtration. Since the upgrade they haven't been nearly as happy, and have slowly gone down hill. Although the last couple days i thought they were perking back up... just the calm before the storm i guess.....

OP
OP
Bassmaster116

Bassmaster116

IDK what im doing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a water sample to a trusted LFS and have water tested . I suspect Low salinity, high ammonia and nitrite and possibly inadequate filtration/water movement without seeing a picture.
If you can smell them this morning, do an immediate water change and add carbon.
my build thread is in my signature below. Tank has plenty flow, filtration and lighting SG is steady 1.026. ive been checking couple times a day as i started to get my tank slowly back onto dosing mag since ive upgraded to a larger tank. no param swings. they just havent been happy since the move.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us posted on your test results. I will be out of pocket for a bit while I move some fish and corals from a neighbors house to mine. If you run into any problems I'm sure some experienced reefers watching the thread will help out or you can call in the Reefsquad and they will be happy to help as well. I will check back in shortly. Good luck my friend.

OP
OP
Bassmaster116

Bassmaster116

IDK what im doing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
Keep us posted on your test results. I will be out of pocket for a bit while I move some fish and corals from a neighbors house to mine. If you run into any problems I'm sure some experienced reefers watching the thread will help out or you can call in the Reefsquad and they will be happy to help as well. I will check back in shortly. Good luck my friend.
Thanks a ton @hdsoftail1065 will keep ya updated! Also good luck on the fish smuggling lol

OP
OP
Bassmaster116

Bassmaster116

IDK what im doing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i tested the following after 20gallon water change:
ammonia-0
N03-3PPM
ALK- 9.9 DKH
Ca-450
P04- .2
Mg- 1300
Sg- 1.026 on hanna and 1.025 on refractometer
temp 76

I think i may have caught it soon enough before anything else is damaged thankfully!
thank you everyone!

Oh and if I win that @AquaSD gift card in the raffle you can believe the first thing im going to buy is another to replace the poor guy!

Last edited:

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i tested the following after 20gallon water change:
ammonia-0
N03-3PPM
ALK- 9.9 DKH
Ca-450
P04- .2
Mg- 1300
Sg- 1.026 on hanna and 1.025 on refractometer
temp 76

I think i may have caught it soon enough before anything else is damaged thankfully!
thank you everyone!

Oh and if I win that @AquaSD gift card in the raffle you can believe the first thing im going to buy is another to replace the poor guy!
Following up. How is everything doing?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back