BTA in SPS Dominant Tank; Asking for Problems?

Dono

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty simple, am I asking for issues inviting a BTA into my 100g SPS dominant tank? Will it wander the tank stinging my expensive colonies? Is it as big of an issue as its talked about?

I have a mated pair of clowns that were just taken from their RBTA, and I’d like to give them back a home if possible

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a lot of empty room ?

OP
OP
Dono

Dono

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a red sea 425xl with four colonies 4-7” and about ten frags. I’d say it’s moderately stocked, but everything is pretty freshly placed. Worth just seeing where it settles, then moving my corals?

I’m a bit more concerned about when things fill in.

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Dylana407, however I've always had 1 or multiple BTA's in my reef tanks. The majority of corals were high-end and never had an issue with my BTA's moving. In fact they seldom move. Just keep your eye on the BTA the first few hours. Make sure you have a clean rock for the BTA to plant his foot.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a red sea 425xl with four colonies 4-7” and about ten frags. I’d say it’s moderately stocked, but everything is pretty freshly placed. Worth just seeing where it settles, then moving my corals?

I’m a bit more concerned about when things fill in.
How about sand dwelling nems

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once settled they tend to keep their area, if things don’t change like flow and lighting but yeah once they start wondering there is no control, look at it as Russian roulette lol.... buy it place it on the Desire area and wait to see if it doesn’t like it and just keep an eye o it, I have 2 one parked next to my monti caps(doing me thefavor actually) and it’s been in the same spot for 7-8 months, I have another tiny one that moves when my clowns bother it but has been in the same spot for 2-3 months now I guess it doing a really nice spot

Corey Baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two large BTA and one has been in the same spot over a year and i just need to watch for spliting and get the new one out of the tank before the one half floats off and plants where i don't want it. Not to mention two is plenty for my tank.
The second i have had for a couple years and actually disappeared for about 6 months(i think it was on the backside of the rock work) and just reappeared back in awkward spot, so, i did some simple rescaping and all good. i have a large female Picasso that loves her nems and is very angry and not a nice tank mate if her nems aren't out and open for her
But to your point of sps and other corals. I built my tank around them. The clown and nem relationship is why i started this. the sps and lps and softies in my tank all do just fine. Once a BTA finds its happy spot they tend to stay. I did take the time though to really make sure to find the best spot i thought they would like and gave them a week to adjust and settle in before stocking the rest of the rock work with corals.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of clowns?
There might be better options than BTA, and agree sand dwellars are much safer, LTA, Malu, or a mag if you have a high perch for one, depending on clown species and tank scape

OP
OP
Dono

Dono

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re a pair of mates black ice ocellaris that’re regularly laying eggs. I think I agree with most here that if I’m going to do it, do it now while I can move my colonies and just be ready for warfare to eventually happen.

Thanks!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back