BTA isn’t looking so great...

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is Beethoven, my Bubble Tip Anemone. he’s been moving and seems fine but his color is dull and I’m scared he’s bleached or something. He’s maintained this color for as long as I’ve had him which has been a few months. At first he was blue and caramel brown and then he faded a bit to this upon introduction to the tank. Hey And he’s NEVER ate. (Lowkey Anorexic Anemone?) I’ve tried to feed him on multiple occasions but he just refuses, the other day I tried feeding him two sinking pellets (ya know those New Life Spectrum plus) and he slowly took them as I came back a while later and he had a tentacle in his mouth. Until my clownfish SAVAGELY SNATCHED his food. I don’t know if this is normal, do any of you guys know what’s happening? Should I keep trying to feed him sinking pellets?
3F9548A5-3211-4601-AE3D-E3F47A3B00AC.jpeg

Mykawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need more info, what kind of lights how long do you run them what settings, full tank picture may shed light on other things. All water parameters too

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure of tank parameters as I haven’t gotten testers yet (I’ve been in the hobby for a year and just haven’t gotten to it) Salinity I keep at 1.024 and I change carbon filters monthly. I use an Aqueon optibright and run them for about ten hours daily with all colors. He’s hiding in the rocks right now as he moved under the rocks last night so I probably will have to try and flip the rock. The tank is 20g

965EC978-2F17-4838-8300-ADFB0E7B6E98.jpeg

85275385-98D5-410F-A1DB-2CBC4FD2B266.jpeg

Last edited:

kapnkush608

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, get the lights sooner than later. Those lights are not enough for nems. It looks like it's starving (for light not pellets) Also you need the test kits man. Get a good test kit. Most companies offer a "saltwater master" those are usually pretty much the standard for the tests you need. Do NOT get the API test kits just get salifert or redsea. You need the parameters because even if you get the light tomorrow what happens if everything gets worse. Are you using tap water as well?

Mykawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the api master kit is fine, only like $22. But if money isn’t an issue salifert is definitely a good brand all around.
Your zoas look good so that’s a good sign and the bubble tip isn’t fully retracted so it’s not hating life that much just needs some color. The fact that you’ve kept him for a few months is a great.

These guys really like light so I’m sure that upgrade will do the trick.

for now a big water change if you can and no more trying to feed him I think the general consensus is they are difficult to feed especially if they’re not healthy.

and as stated above, are you using ro/di water?

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, get the lights sooner than later. Those lights are not enough for nems. It looks like it's starving (for light not pellets) Also you need the test kits man. Get a good test kit. Most companies offer a "saltwater master" those are usually pretty much the standard for the tests you need. Do NOT get the API test kits just get salifert or redsea. You need the parameters because even if you get the light tomorrow what happens if everything gets worse. Are you using tap water as well?
No, I use only RODI

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the api master kit is fine, only like $22. But if money isn’t an issue salifert is definitely a good brand all around.
Your zoas look good so that’s a good sign and the bubble tip isn’t fully retracted so it’s not hating life that much just needs some color. The fact that you’ve kept him for a few months is a great.

These guys really like light so I’m sure that upgrade will do the trick.

for now a big water change if you can and no more trying to feed him I think the general consensus is they are difficult to feed especially if they’re not healthy.

and as stated above, are you using ro/di water?
Yes I use RODI, I was actually planning on doing a water change today so that works. Yeah I haven’t pushed feeding but I’ve tried it a couple times to see if he’d take anything, he’d just never grab it. Untill I get a better light would it be good to get him as close to the light as possible?

Mykawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I use RODI, I was actually planning on doing a water change today so that works. Yeah I haven’t pushed feeding but I’ve tried it a couple times to see if he’d take anything, he’d just never grab it. Untill I get a better light would it be good to get him as close to the light as possible?
I don’t have experience but I’d guess people will tell you to leave him alone, your tank is looking good in my opinion just keep it going :)

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back