Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

biggie4jets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

Just had a quick question regarding lighting with a BTA. I currently have a 40-gallon breeder with a T5 fixture where I want to see if I could put a BTA in.

The 4 bulb T5 light fixture uses 39W bulbs.

Was wondering if this would be enough light for the anemone? I have corals and a clam in my tank right now and have no problems with them or them growing, but I know nems are a pain in the a** at times.

Thanks!

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

Just had a quick question regarding lighting with a BTA. I currently have a 40-gallon breeder with a T5 fixture where I want to see if I could put a BTA in.

The 4 bulb T5 light fixture uses 39W bulbs.

Was wondering if this would be enough light for the anemone? I have corals and a clam in my tank right now and have no problems with them or them growing, but I know nems are a pain in the a** at times.

Thanks!

The only way to know what PAR your reading at any one coral is to use a PAR meter and check. Its very difficult to say without that. I can note that with new Nems I run my LED's at 80% power for about 2 weeks and slowly ramp up but I also have three 400w halides and a very deep tank.

PAR meters aren't cheap, but if you have a LFS in your area they usually have some you can use.

Gonebad395

Anemone hound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say yes but the nem is probably going To move to a high spot in the tank. But you should be just fine.

OP
OP
biggie4jets

biggie4jets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way to know what PAR your reading at any one coral is to use a PAR meter and check. Its very difficult to say without that. I can note that with new Nems I run my LED's at 80% power for about 2 weeks and slowly ramp up but I also have three 400w halides and a very deep tank.

PAR meters aren't cheap, but if you have a LFS in your area they usually have some you can use.

Ya, I know with PAR I can, but wanted to know "generally" would it be enough light. I ask my LFS and see what they say or if they have a reader.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I know with PAR I can, but wanted to know "generally" would it be enough light. I ask my LFS and see what they say or if they have a reader.

Very honestly a Nem will let you know when its happy or not. When its too much light for what its used to, you will see it hiding as it gets acclimated until its comfortable.

When it stops moving, you know its happy.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTAs are tough. If there's enough light for stony corals and especially a clam, there will be enough for a BTA. And it'll move til it gets what it wants, regardless of where you think it should be. Carpet nems are much less forgiving and fussier, ime.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most BTA's do not require allot of light compared to other anemones.
We have been keeping BTA since we used NO Fluorescent lights.

As long as it is a decent t-5 you should have no issues.
Only comment is 4 bulb may be a little small for a 18" wide tank. 6 bulbs would be better depending on you rock layout. More bulbs means better coverage.

OP
OP
biggie4jets

biggie4jets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTAs are tough. If there's enough light for stony corals and especially a clam, there will be enough for a BTA. And it'll move til it gets what it wants, regardless of where you think it should be. Carpet nems are much less forgiving and fussier, ime.

Alright, good to know. I just want a BTA, but nervous to pull the trigger.

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gonebad395

Anemone hound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is really young man usually you want a tank established a year or more. I know it’s seems like a tank at 6months is there but it’s just at the beginning of being truly stable

OP
OP
biggie4jets

biggie4jets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is really young man usually you want a tank established a year or more. I know it’s seems like a tank at 6months is there but it’s just at the beginning of being truly stable

Ya, I hear ya. I wouldn't add it now anyway. I was just curious about lighting with a RBA. I appreciate the feedback though!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back