BTA on live rock in new tank. What do I do?

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer will work against new bac population. It won't (can't) stop it but it can (will) slow it down.

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200225_231903.jpg
Well... I just watched it puke up what looked like half of a fish. Then it receded back into the rocks with its mouth exposed like this.
Closing shop for the night or in trouble?
I haven't fed it anything.

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
Men has moved once since the last post. Seems happy and behaviour is pretty consistent. Opens and inflates in the late afternoon/evening and stays open until early afternoon the following day.
Been feeding 1 mysis every couple of days.
Another member identified it as a cribrinopsis crassa nem. Behaviour and color seem to match.

Any tips for maintaining this species?

OKCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
Men has moved once since the last post. Seems happy and behaviour is pretty consistent. Opens and inflates in the late afternoon/evening and stays open until early afternoon the following day.
Been feeding 1 mysis every couple of days.
Another member identified it as a cribrinopsis crassa nem. Behaviour and color seem to match.

Any tips for maintaining this species?
I see this was from a few weeks ago, but I will go ahead and point out what is probably obvious to you now. Since you bought a live rock with a living anemone on it, you basically skipped cycling your tank so you didn't need to add any ammonia (sounds like you didn't). As far as care for the BTA, I can't help there as I only have rock flower anemones, but I just basically treat them like any of my coral. I'll do some spot feeding every few days. The BTA will find the flow and light it wants, so you should be good there. Since your tank is cycled, you can add fish and coral now, just remember to take it slow with such a small tank. Maybe add a fish then wait a couple weeks. Or add two clownfish and hope they host the BTA. Or add a couple coral and hope your BTA has found a home and doesn't decide to move over and start stinging the coral. That's another issue, if you want to keep coral in such a small tank, I hope you understand that you could lose them to the BTA. Also be mindful of any powerheads the BTA could get into, although I don't see any in your full tank shot.

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, no powerheads. Read too many shredded nem stories.
I added a porcelain crab, and he took right to the anemone. Only left to molt last week.
Added one more piece of live rock and ended up with a couple emerald crabs too. That was before the move.
Everything has been stable for the last week or two.
Added Trimma goby to help with pods 2 days ago.
The spot the men picked sucks for viewing, but gets good light. I guess that's what I get for building a circular aquascape.
20200307_133513.jpg

View from top of tank.
15839442430261904186999.jpg

FTS

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16183468012682051194214367021913.jpg

Nem is doing great. Turns out it is a Rainbow BTA. Tank has been through it's fair share of ups and downs. (Note the dead monti and slowly recovering cyphastrea) There was a few weeks there that I was sure it was a gonner, but it pulled through!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back