bta with multiple mouths???

Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Joined
Jan 1, 2013
Messages
14,294
Reaction score
43,579
Location
new york
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to make a long story short....had this nem for four months. Has been settled in the lower third of the tank for the duration....last week he decided to go on a walk about...circled the entire tank and settled here on the glass at the waters edge...today I noticed he appears to have two mouths?? I've been searching all afternoon and can only find a couple of references to it happening pre split. But everything else says they split in half through the mouth?? Anybody ever seen this or have any experience with this happening ?
20170520_112707.jpg
20170520_112707.jpg
20170520_162413.jpg
 
Could be a split that didn't detach or getting ready to split.

Thanks for replying...I do believe he's getting ready to split...just never seen them grow an extra mouth first...lol.
 
Curious as to what makes you say it's getting ready to split? I had 2 split this past weekend in seperate systems and am wondering if i should have seen it coming. Are there signs? Only recent change is the windows have been open more and thus a higher average PH.
 
Well that was my original question. Why it had two mouths. Generally they split down the mouth and make two even halves which then heal. They can do it naturally or it can be stress induced. Generally by swings in temp or salinity . but this guy has grown two mouths while in my tank and the only reason I can assume is its going to split .
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new