Bubble Algae, am I in for a lot of pain?!

AcanSweeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started stocking my tank with some beginner corals. I have some GHA but nothing my CUC, fuge, and tang cant take care of. Everything has gone somewhat smoothly other than my mistakes(water on floor in various rooms smh). I recently got a frag of GSP which was doing well for fist couple weeks so I placed it on its own rock so that it doesn't take over main rockwork. I started to notice that there was bubble algae growing on the frag. It has now started to take over the GSP and onto the rock. I'm doing a water change and plan to take rock out with GPS and bubble algae. My question is whether if its worth trying to salvage a piece of the GSP and placing on a new plug to try and grow back? Also, since the bubble algae was in my tank and I in for a rough ride of it popping up in random places or by removing the rock and frag will that be all needed to be rid of those nasty bubbles?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you remove the frag and toss it you may still get bubble algae since it's been in the tank.

Will the bubble algae take over the tank?
Will the GSP take over the tank?

Only Neptune Knows.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AcanSweeper

AcanSweeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you remove the frag and toss it you may still get bubble algae since it's been in the tank.

Will the bubble algae take over the tank?
Will the GSP take over the tank?

Only Neptune Knows.
That is what I was afraid of. I guess time and Neptune will tell. :(

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AcanSweeper

AcanSweeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have troubles with bubble algae in the future, pitho crabs are fantastic at eating it.
In my short search that is what I have seen in the comments. I have a couple emeralds but never see them and they obv haven't touched the bubble algae yet.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AcanSweeper

AcanSweeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn off your lights or lower the amount of time they are on and water change. That's what I've don in the past and it's worked better then emerald crab.
Yeah it didnt grow for a couple weeks until I moved the frag up in the tank and extended light time. I'm going to approach it from all angle and start ramping things back up slowly. (fingers crossed)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AcanSweeper

AcanSweeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never found bubble algae a problem. Find it growing? Just manually remove it. Won't eliminate it but it WILL keep your corals safe
Yeah luckily its on its own rock so will remove that and hope for the best while reducing nutrients and lighting.

Upvote 0

34gallonSolana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never found bubble algae a problem. Find it growing? Just manually remove it. Won't eliminate it but it WILL keep your corals safe
yeah I agree with reefkeepers, that works to remove all you can combine with ramping lights down for a while and then back up as well.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back