Bubble Algae and a Tank Reset

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't keep up with the bubble algae. It wins.

I've fought off Dinos (twice, and feel they are under control for good, now).

I've fought off Aiptasia explosion (Filefish took out the Pulsing Xenia...but I'm oddly at peace with that sacrifice).

Bubble Algae....is winning in a bad way. It's now migrated into my overflow in the back where I cannot get to it. It's clogging pipes and I'm worried about it turning into a "water on the floor" incident.

I'm thinking the only thing to do at this point is to nuke it from orbit and do a mini tank reset. I've done Vibrant before and it really set me back. That said, I'm ok with doing a reset and killing off what minimal zoas I have left (Bubbles have taken over my birds nest and taken it out.

I obviously don't want to kill my fish (three PJ Cardinals and the Filefish) but really feel like I'm out of options. I buy my fish QT'd which is going to take a while to pick up a Foxface or something similar.

Are there any other options I'm missing? Manual removal is NOT an option as everything is literally covered in it.....

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you drop a squadron of pithos crabs in first. They are reef safe. You could spot spray the algae in the overflow with h202 and a long turkey baster. Manual removal is always the first option to unless you choose not to keep up with regular husbandry.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back