Bubble algae infestation & white bugs on glass! HELP!!!

dt98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELP!

So I noticed some bubble algae a few weeks ago and took the live rock out and put it in a bucket of RO water for a few days, put it back in my tank and everything was fine, I have been away for a few days and the tank is now like this with lots of bubble algae everywhere and white insects! The tank is still cycling.

My questions are:

How do I get rid of the bubble algae fully?
Are the white insects a pest?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bugs look like copepods.
They are good guys and make great cleanup crew + fish food. Just about every reef tank has them.
There are a few methods to removing bubble algae. I prefer the natural predator route. An emerald crab can do wonders on it, but there is always the risk of it bothering corals and other inverts.

OP
OP
D

dt98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear they are just pods! It’s a breeding tank for clownfish, so nothing is in there atm, no plan of putting coral or anything in there so if I put emerald crabs in, how long will it take for them to clear it up?

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably need to slow down on this.
Where did you get the advise on placing true live rock in RO water for a few days during your tank cycle.
I would hit the pause button and start reading as much as you can about setting up a reef tank. What you do during this cycle will directly impact your success on this set up.
Please include more details about the system, the tank, equipment and your general process you have implemented so for.

OP
OP
D

dt98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get the advise on placing true live rock in RO water for a few days during your tank cycle.
I would hit the pause button and start reading as much as you can about setting up a reef tank. What you do during this cycle will directly impact your success on this set up.
Please include more details about the system, the tank, equipment and your general process you have implemented so for.
I read quite a lot of threads similar to this one with people saying, RO water or bleach, I thought RO water was the safest bet. I’ve had reef tanks before and got a few breeding tanks set up and have had them set up for a while. however I have never had to deal with bubble algae until now.
I am not using the tank in the video as a reef tank. I am using it as a breeding tank for clownfish

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed that RO dip ….hmmm, my have zapped that cycle… ditto/endorse/certify last post…
just talking but ya know I have never had any pest algae last for month and months, I promise you as the months go by the tank changes regardless, and if you keep diligent, usually it changes for the good…
I’d bet if you did nothing but good maintenance it’d fade…esp if you got another macro algae (somewhere)

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how hungry an emerald is and how much algae there is.
If it’s too much, it may never completely kill it, but it will subside.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd read some books. The Reef Aquarium series, the Modern Coral Reef Aquarium series, Natural Reef Aquariums, all solid information.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back