Bubble algae no problem

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tangs will clear a rock full of bubble algae and caulerpa in just one night I put the rock in last night at 9 pm and by 1 pm the next day rock is almost clear. Not sure why so many reeders are so scared of bubble algae. Guess that’s one advantage of having a bigger tank with lots of tangs

9A30B3FB-1A6A-4FD9-8C8C-7EB661BDF38B.jpeg 671FDB5B-C5AF-4FA3-9B02-84253CEF3FA4.jpeg

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tangs will clear a rock full of bubble algae and caulerpa in just one night I put the rock in last night at 9 pm and by 1 pm the next day rock is almost clear. Not sure why so many reeders are so scared of bubble algae. Guess that’s one advantage of having a bigger tank with lots of tangs

9A30B3FB-1A6A-4FD9-8C8C-7EB661BDF38B.jpeg 671FDB5B-C5AF-4FA3-9B02-84253CEF3FA4.jpeg
What do you mean when you say you put the rock in? Do you keep extra rock in your sump or something?

OP
OP
LIreefguy

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I have 4 tanks
One is a 57 high with mushrooms and rocks with ai prime
No fish in it just rocks so algae bubble algae and caulerpa grows crazy Once every few weeks I’ll take a rock out and put it in to get cleaned

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble algae will decimate a tank if it gets out of control. My tangs never touched it.

Checked the price of tangs lately? I can hire somebody to manually scrub the rocks on my tank for less :)

OP
OP
LIreefguy

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need bigger tangs. Like hippos , rabbitfish , Acanthurus
zebrasoma tangs in my experience don’t touch the stuff

my 2 - 8 inch mata tangs my 7 inch hippo and my 7 in 2 barred and my 5 inch powder blue attack it like crazy
My purple, yellow, Tommini, white tank , chevron will do at it because the others at eating eat but they don’t really eat it more like pecking
my rabbit fish is the best at ripping it off the rock once in the water they all eat it

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need bigger tangs. Like hippos , rabbitfish , Acanthurus
zebrasoma tangs in my experience don’t touch the stuff

my 2 - 8 inch mata tangs my 7 inch hippo and my 7 in 2 barred and my 5 inch powder blue attack it like crazy
My purple, yellow, Tommini, white tank , chevron will do at it because the others at eating eat but they don’t really eat it more like pecking
my rabbit fish is the best at ripping it off the rock once in the water they all eat it
Curious what type of rabbit fish do you have, debating a rabbit fish or a powder blue tang. Maybe both but it's time for an angel next.

OP
OP
LIreefguy

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2 barred rabbit fish
Doesn’t bother any other fish in my
And tough enough that even when I had a sohal tang it wouldn’t bother him. Well it did a few times but learned quickly that the 2 barred wouldn’t run from it

OP
OP
LIreefguy

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think the key is have a few tangs
In my frag tank my smaller 2 barred and white tail won’t attach it
Like my bigger tank
But they also run away when they see me my big tank they all run towards me

OP
OP
LIreefguy

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I am just sharing my experience. I am in now way saying this is a fact or the only way. Just trying to share my experience and yes it will only probably work in a larger tang
Can’t put 5 tangs and rabbit fish in a 55

Back