Bubble Algae Outbreak

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some Reef Flux from BRS or Amazon. You won't regret it.

I was just scouring Amazon and reading the reviews. Almost picked it up but decided on Vibrant. I have a fuge with Chaeto and mangroves and would like to try the natural route first with vibrant. If that dosen't work then I will try the flux.

OP
OP
Terry Mattson

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to try a Tuxedo Urchin. I also have turf green algea. The Tuxedo is pretty. Found a blue from algea barn. The red one is awesome but they are out. I think these are grown at algea barn making them adaptive for aquariums....

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to try a Tuxedo Urchin. I also have turf green algea. The Tuxedo is pretty. Found a blue from algea barn. The red one is awesome but they are out. I think these are grown at algea barn making them adaptive for aquariums....

Awesome!! Let me know how it goes. My Vibrant comes in next week. If that doesnt knock it out in a month or so then I am going to pick up an urchin. Post your results.

OP
OP
Terry Mattson

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know why vibrant had not worked for me. It did keep the algea build up on the glass to like zero. But the green and bubble on the rock is still slowly growing. Been dosing every week.

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know why vibrant had not worked for me. It did keep the algea build up on the glass to like zero. But the green and bubble on the rock is still slowly growing. Been dosing every week.

How long have you been dosing? I read sometimes it could take up to 2 months.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck w the urchin. Emeralds have worked well for me, but I may have just been lucky.
One thing I notice is that they don't do well with the big bubbles... kinda like a snail doesn't do jack for big hunk of gha. But, if you can brush off and siphon the visible ones, they can really hold it down.

OP
OP
Terry Mattson

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck w the urchin. Emeralds have worked well for me, but I may have just been lucky.
One thing I notice is that they don't do well with the big bubbles... kinda like a snail doesn't do jack for big hunk of gha. But, if you can brush off and siphon the visible ones, they can really hold it down.
My concern with emerald crab is some of them wl snip corals and I have a maxima clam. Has yours ever been an issue?

Nick30G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been about 6 weeks
I would give it 3 months for vibrant to kill all your bubble algae. It's not something that works within a few weeks. I have been using it for 2 months now and 90% of my bubble algae is gone (moderate outbreak). I also note I dose it 2x weekly (every 4 days) 1ml per 10 gallons

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the belt and suspenders approach: Vibrant AND Emeralds.

Took a couple of months but I cannot find any bubble anymore. Can't say which worked.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have six emerald crabs — some male, some female, different sizes, purchased from 3 different stores — but they haven’t touched my bubble algae. I also just finished treating my tank with Flux RX for bryopsis, which worked great on removing the bryopsis, but didn't have any impact on the bubble algae. I'm considering trying Vibrant next.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant takes months to work. You have to be patient and slowly ramp up dosing schedule to 2x/week (over the course of MONTHS, not weeks). Vibrant not only got rid of my massive bubble algae infestation, but also c. serrulata (find me ANY other product on the market that can do that...)

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: double post. please remove.

Kdub Koral Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bubble algea out break. It came on a snail. Been using vibrant but is not working. Tank is a red sea 350. About 91 total gallions. The reef is doing extremely well. LPS, mushrooms, clam, goniopora, and zoas. Fish are 2 fire fish, 2 pajama cardinals, 2 pairs of clowns, diamond goby, mandarin, and purple dotty back. SG 1.026, ph 8.1, p04 .03 to .05, nitrates 2ppm, iodine .06, Calcium 420, dkh 8 to 8.5, and magnesium 1350. Equipment: heater, protein skimmer, refugium what the heck a h380 light, reactor with gfo and run a little carbon. Water is clear. Lights are 2 hd26 LEDs. My reef is very much glued together making rock removal a desaster. All coral is growing. The bubble algae is not impacting any coals yet but is spreading. What are my options? Thanks reading community....

20191030_102404.jpg 20191030_102431.jpg 20191030_102447.jpg
Only had my new Nano Reef tank 2 1/2 weeks and had some bubble algae show up. I threw one Emerald Crab in and he is going to town on the bubble algae. I did this because I just started my refugium with Chaeto and didn't want to have an issue with the Vibrant killing the Chaeto.

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give it 3 months for vibrant to kill all your bubble algae. It's not something that works within a few weeks. I have been using it for 2 months now and 90% of my bubble algae is gone (moderate outbreak). I also note I dose it 2x weekly (every 4 days) 1ml per 10 gallons

Do you have pictures?

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have pictures?
Follow me on insta and look back about a year then look at now... I got tons of before/after and would always get comments how how utterly carpeted my entire tank was... Took more than SIX months to get rid of mine at double the instructed rate but it worked.

OP
OP
Terry Mattson

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow me on insta and look back about a year then look at now... I got tons of before/after and would always get comments how how utterly carpeted my entire tank was... Took more than SIX months to get rid of mine at double the instructed rate but it worked.
I may try dosing twice a week. See how this works. Since using vibrant the glass stays free from algea. Just hope pod population is not impacted by this product.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may try dosing twice a week. See how this works. Since using vibrant the glass stays free from algea. Just hope pod population is not impacted by this product.
Just DO NOT do this over a couple weeks or even a month unless you want to risk your system... take your time with ramping up dosage... (first 2 weeks you're ramping up, dose every SIX days, then after 2 or 3 weeks of dosing every SIX days, dose every FIVE days, etc...) the biggest (and only issue) I see with peoples experience with Vibrant is grossly underestimating the time and patience the product requires... It works. You just have to be persistently patient.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back