Bubble Algae - The sin of popping the bubbles.

dmw913

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heya!
In the ongoing battle against bubble algae, I watch the tank incredibly carefully and remove the algae as soon as I see any but I must apparently suck at it because I’m never able to remove it without popping some of the bubbles. Yesterday, I got frustrated enough that I just scraped the hell out of the rock and scooped the remnants out with a fishnet. I also replaced my filter floss after about an hour in the hope I caught everything.

Number 1: How stupid is the above eradication method? I hear horror stories about “popping the bubbles” but in tight corners, cracks and crevices, this seems like an aspirational goal at best.

Number 2: If you are able to remove your bubbles without popping them, what are your creative ways of doing it, particularly when the bubbles are wedged in cracks and crevices.

Number 3: I have a relatively small tank (Reefer 250). How do you folks with larger tanks deal with bubble algae? I would imagine you could get large colonies in nooks and crannies before ever even noticing it.

Thanks!
Denise

Last edited:

RUNVS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard Emerald Crabs Eat the bubble algae, there have been some mixed reviews though.

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heya!
In the ongoing battle against bubble algae, I watch the tank incredibly carefully and remove the algae as soon as I see any but I must apparently suck at it because I’m never able to remove it without popping some of the bubbles. Yesterday, I got frustrated enough that I just scraped the hell out of the rock and scooped the remnants out with a fishnet. I also replaced my filter floss after about an hour in the hope I caught everything.

Number 1: How stupid is the above eradication method? I hear horror stories about “popping the bubbles” but in tight corners, cracks and crevices, this seems like an aspirational goal at best.

Number 2: If you are able to remove your bubbles without popping them, what are your creative ways of doing it, particularly when the bubbles are wedged in cracks and crevices.

Thanks!
Denise
I'm trying Vibrant but only using for 2 weeks so don't know if it will work. I read in another post that popping the bubbles happens if a emerald crab were to eat them so no big deal. Hopefully that is true as I too scraped some off yesterday and yes they popped.

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a siphon and plastic tweezers. I always pop a few but most get sucked away. Had an emerald but didn't seem interested in the stuff. Would like to hear any real success stories to stop bubble algae from the start.

OP
OP
dmw913

dmw913

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, I like to use an angled razor blade or scalpel and try to scrape off the rocks so I get the holdfasts of the algae as well, but in using that method, I am guaranteed to pop at least a few.

To me, this has become the best balance between ability, technology and managing nutrients.

ChrisOFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to get a MALE emerald crab if you want a natural predator for it, the females are useless. Just look for one with jumbo sized pincers at the store and it will help you with the bubble algae. I have one in my 75 gallon and he keeps it to acceptable levels by himself, I don't even attempt to remove it myself anymore. It is not 100% gone but it not what I would consider invasive anymore.

bigroost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scraped and bought a couple of emerald crabs, it just continued to spread. I finally found out about that vibrant stuff, it cleared it up in a couple of months. Just know you are probably gonna have some cyano before its over but its a heck of a lot easier to clean.

Quah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a foxface that eats it but it still grows where he can't get at it and I think he might make it worse. I don't know, was thinking of peroxide dosing.

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like emerald crabs are hit and miss. I found success! Only time will tell if he can keep up.
d92921a633e84aa8d1348278b4ba328f.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back