Bubble Algae

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it is the worst. I wish I could try a foxface. Thank you everyone for all your advice ill try the strict manual removal and see how it goes. Maybe the crabs will decide to do me a favor :face-with-tears-of-joy:
I definitely recommend a foxface if you have a rehoming option!
Recently, I added two tiny (~2") onespot foxfaces (Siganus unimaculatus) to my Work Desk 40B tank and they decimated my Caulerpa prolifera in about 2 days. As the name suggests, the prolifera had been prolific and I was hoping to propagate it in the sump as a food source. Now I may need to buy more, as they ate this stuff back to nubs so quickly!

I have not tried them with bubble algae yet (I've got some growing on my ocean live rock at home), but I am quite confident they can eliminate it rapidly as voracious as they are.

Edit: I should mention that I have a direct plan to move these foxfaces to an established tank at home when they outgrow the tank. They still should last a year or more in a tank this size based on my previous experience with a pair of ~2" bicolor foxfaces (Siganus uspi) a year ago that are now only ~3" long and reside in a 40B tank at home currently.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How fast does a Foxface need to be rehomed? I’d definitely try one out, but my Red Sea reefer 170 isn’t much.

Edit: Oh dern, 9” fish? Guess it’s back to elbow grease and my bone cutters.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, you should have months to over a year in about 40g if you get one that is ~2". How many gallons is the Reefer 170?

It’s 50g total, but 24” wide tank. I think things could get testy quickly.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...I swear that this stuff is the absolute worst.
Trust me its not, have you had bryopsis?

My bubble algae seems to come in waves, but once I get tired of looking at it or I feel in is causing a problem with a coral or something I just get out the dental pick and go scraping and picking. I figure its no different that harvesting any other algae, its a nutrient removal system. Once I'm done with the scraping I crank up the circ pumps and hold a net in front of them and can catch most of the floaters.

OP
OP
officialreefbros

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya i unfortunately do not have any rehoming options. The issue with picking is some of it grows in places that arent very accessible in my tank

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s 50g total, but 24” wide tank. I think things could get testy quickly.
That might be kind of small for a foxface, though a tiny one would work for a few months. It is probably best for you to consider other methods of dealing with the bubble algae.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back