Bubble in my anemone's mouth

Froam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, today I received my first 2 anemones, they are epicystis cruciferous or rock flower. And one of them at night I noticed a “bubble” in her mouth, I don't know if it's normal or something is wrong with her. I must say that I am quite new to this hobby and have found little information about it. I share some photos of what they look like at night with the light off and the bubble in the mouth. The first hours during the day it looked fine and without that bubble. Greetings and thanks
sghk.jpg

1712794981945.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are rock flower anemones. Its not a bubble, it is the mouth. I don't know what it means, but I've seen mine do it on and off for years, I don't think it is anything negative.

OP
OP
F

Froam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are rock flower anemones. Its not a bubble, it is the mouth. I don't know what it means, but I've seen mine do it on and off for years, I don't think it is anything negative.
Thank you very much, I didn't know the mouth was that way.
It's funny because today when the lights came on I had "bubbles", although you told me that it was the mouth, but so that it is understood what I mean. It was much bigger and as if there were 2 of them.
1712833706401 (1).jpg

Some hour later it stuck very close to the rock and the ground. As you can see in this photo.
1712836928047.jpg

Maybe it's normal, but it worries me because being the first anemones I've had, it's a behavior I didn't know they had. A greeting and thanks for the help. :D

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much, I didn't know the mouth was that way.
It's funny because today when the lights came on I had "bubbles", although you told me that it was the mouth, but so that it is understood what I mean. It was much bigger and as if there were 2 of them.
1712833706401 (1).jpg

Some hour later it stuck very close to the rock and the ground. As you can see in this photo.
1712836928047.jpg

Maybe it's normal, but it worries me because being the first anemones I've had, it's a behavior I didn't know they had. A greeting and thanks for the help. :D
Corals like acanthophyllia or trachyphyllia will do this too, not sure on what it means in nems but it's basically inflated mouth tussle

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, today I received my first 2 anemones, they are epicystis cruciferous or rock flower. And one of them at night I noticed a “bubble” in her mouth, I don't know if it's normal or something is wrong with her. I must say that I am quite new to this hobby and have found little information about it. I share some photos of what they look like at night with the light off and the bubble in the mouth. The first hours during the day it looked fine and without that bubble. Greetings and thanks
sghk.jpg

1712794981945.jpg
My RBTA does that every once in awhile. Nothing to worry about.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
consider it to be...salivating or trying to enlarge itself to capture food. i've noticed some of my RFA's do this and usually its during feeding to be able to catch food. might be hungry.

OP
OP
F

Froam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RBTA does that every once in awhile. Nothing to worry about.
It is possible that it arrived at my house yesterday, it has been in the aquarium for just over 24 hours. Should I feed him even if he has that?

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible that it arrived at my house yesterday, it has been in the aquarium for just over 24 hours. Should I feed him even if he has that?
You will probably fin that if you feed him, it may go away briefly. Mine did. Quite honestly, mine came from a split of a friends, and I attributed it to that. When I would feed it, that would go away, but come back. it took a couple months, but now it is always inside where it belongs.

OP
OP
F

Froam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will probably fin that if you feed him, it may go away briefly. Mine did. Quite honestly, mine came from a split of a friends, and I attributed it to that. When I would feed it, that would go away, but come back. it took a couple months, but now it is always inside where it belongs.
Thank you very much, I feel calmer. I'll try to feed her.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back