Bubble magus curve 5 elite for 90 gallon

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I'm planning out my second reef tank after a successful first one. I used a canister filter and a HOB skimmer on my first tank. This new tank will have a sump and a proper skimmer, all this is to say that I'm not super knowledgeable about skimmers.

My plan is a 90 gallon 48x18x24 with a Fiji-24 sump and a klir-4 roller mat. Will be LPS and softie, medium to heavy stocking. I think I'll run a refugium too, the sump has space for one, but I need to do more research.

I think I landed on the bubble magus curve 5 elite skimmer but I wanted to float it by the hive mind here before I pull the trigger on it.

Is there a better cheaper alternative that I haven't considered? The main thing is that it's super quiet, the tank is right next to the couch in the front room. I did want to under size the skimmer a touch so it's more consistent, and the roller mat will do a lot of the heavy lifting...

Anyway, thanks for any guidance!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer the specific question, but I can maybe bump the thread for you to see if we can get you some help

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been told dc pumps are quieter. I have a curve 7 on a 75 gal, works great. You may want to consider the 7 for a 90 gal

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would suggest going with a Curve 7 with the standard pump and no algae filter or the roller mat. I have the curve 7 on my 60g frag tank and it's dead silent. This will reduce your cost and be plenty effective.

The Elite has the Sicce pump which adds to the cost with no increase in performance. Sicce costs more because its from overseas.

All three are overkill for your system and you're going to suffer with zero nitrates and an algae filter that struggles to prosper.

If you're intent on buying the roller mat then just start with that only.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I had a curve 7 on my 90 gallon. Pulled co2 scrubber and excess nutrients with no problem.

As far as 5, not sure. I’m running curve 9 now on 150. You might want to consider 7 if you plan on getting medium bio load

FYI I’m selling my 7 if interested . Will take reasonable offer

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Curve 5 on my 80 gallon low boy with 36 gallon sump. More than enough. Only complaint is that it took forever to break in (2+ months)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back