Bubble Magus Curve 5 overflowing even at 6" height?

Nurse.Reef.Reapeat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers,
I am having issues with my skimmer. My Reefer 170 is bought used. Came with BM Curve 5. Cleaned it with vinegar and all that. well, my tank is running for at least3 weeks now. just started to run my skimmer which I put at 9.5' height with is set to Max dial. it overflows like crazy. I heard people raising it up to solve the issue, well I need, its not sitting at about 6 inches. and it still overflows. I can deal with the overflow, but not the Millions of micro bubbles that it produces and goes to the DT and might stress out my livestock. Any Suggestion please?

tthouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For immediately reduce the micro bubble, you can put one or more the black foam between the second chamber to return chamber, it will reduce the bubble. For the skimmer, let's wait another expert help you.

OP
OP
Nurse.Reef.Reapeat

Nurse.Reef.Reapeat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1D970446-CB8D-4C1B-9E5B-FCF8259A16E0.jpeg

Booger McMoron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure the airline is clear. Unplug it from the top and see if it changes. If it does, that is a sure sign the airline has a restriction.

teller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a BM C5.
Two things can happen, from my experience and related to the same part which is the inflow plastic connector attached to the pump which connects with the air tubing :
1. Some leftovers of chaeto get inside this connector restricting the water inflow.
2. In the plastic connector , the connection to the air tube, which is a small hole, sometimes get clogged due to salt, calcium carbonate or even detritus like chaeto leftovers, this time restricting the air to the pump.

Booger McMoron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which one is the airline? Unplug which one?

Small clear airline runs from the botttom of the skimmer to a small air chamber by the adjustment knob. If that line is not there, that is definitely the problem.
64ddf7485e97b080a98ce30cfe14ab14.jpg
64ddf7485e97b080a98ce30cfe14ab14.jpg
IMG_1130.JPG

teller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's easy. You have four components.
1. The pump itself
2. Then the connector attached to the pump
3. Then the white flexible tube. connector in 2. has a connection with the white flexible tube.
4. The noise restritor at the cup level.
This noise restritor is the one attached on the other end of the white flexible tube, at the cup level.

I believe he is talking about the white flexible tube. You can detached it from eather one side. I think it is easier from 4. So you do not get your hand wet.

In my comment I say you should check 2. And the connection to the white flexible tube.

Note. I just saw your pictures. So your flexible air tube is not white has mine, yours is transparent but it is the same, works the same.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nurse.Reef.Reapeat

Nurse.Reef.Reapeat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I tried it . The hose is clean and I even cleaned it again to make sure. But it still overflows like crazy. I had to raise it to 3 inches to make it stop...

Booger McMoron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it brand new? If so, it took mine almost a month to settle down. Also, have you added something new (filter sock, additives, etc) to the sump? This can make a skimmer go crazy for a while.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from annoying you the micro bubbles getting into the display shouldnt hurt anything. If its loads of them it may make your corals produce some slime but theres a whole bunch of people that do this purposely and swear by it.

As for the skimmer how long has it been running? I recently bought a new A5. Ran in vinegar overnight and it settled down pretty quickly after the inital oveflow period. Maybe 12-24 hours running in 9.5” of water. Is yours the DC version or rgular AC? If DC try turning the pump speed down.

futureinterest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is the first time you're running the skimmer, I'm not surprised its overflowing. You just have a ton of organics that need to be removed or other contaminants that are making it foam like crazy. Give it some time and run it at the lowest setting or raise it up a lil more if need be. Once your tank and the skimmer settle in it'll run like a champ. I use a curve on my 300 and it handles my tank with no issues.

tthouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use this skimmer but every skimmers are the same. I just throw one advice here that may help you. I expected you already open maximum the valve output before you raise the skimmer higher. I want you double check at the output valve once more by moving your skimmer out of the sum and look inside the output tube to be sure the valve "move" up and down while you turn the output Knott. I doubt it won't move even you think you already open it.

CowabungaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue with my NEW Curve 5. I built a new reef system and went with this skimmer. It's been running for almost 3 weeks now and still overflowing. Sitting at 6" depth as well. I pulled the stopper nozzle out of the overflow cup drain hose so the water just runs through because it was causing too much of a mess. Any luck with yours? I was considering calling BM to see what advice they can give

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back