Bubble Magus Curve 5 overflowing

Sstadler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I recently added a Bubble Magus Curve 5 into the first chamber of my sump where my overflow drains. Since trying to turn it on, all it does it severely overflow with bubbles/foam. I have it set to “max” which is the lowest setting for bubble magus. It started in 9.5 inches of water and I have gone as far as lifting it 4.5 inches out of the water (leaving 5 inches still submerged) and it is still overflowing. I took the whole thing out, disassembled it, wiped it clean, re-assembled it, and still: overflowing foam. If anyone has any ideas I’m all ears. Idk what to do. My
Bio load should still be pretty low, just two clowns in my tank, live sand, life rock, and mr tims.

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing bacteria is one of the things that will cause your skimmer to overflow. Nothing to be alarmed about. By if you just recently dosed bacteria, you don’t want to really turn your skimmer on anyhow as it will skim the bacteria out because there will be a large number in the water column. Majority of the bacteria in a tank are usually what makes up the biofilm on surfaces. But since you recently added Dr. Tims, there is a high level floating around as well. I would leave the skimmer off for a couple of days and then start it. If it continues to overflow, just let it. Take the top off the collection cup and let it overflow back into the sump and eventually it will slow down and normalize.

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
New or used skimmer? New ones can take a while to break in, and it's suggested to just leave the cup off for a while. But if it's used and already broken in do you have a picture of the bubble plate?. I had this same skimmer (2 of them actually) and there should be a blank spot with no holes in the bubble plate and that should be located above the inlet of the pump I believe. Mine seemed to run best in ~7-8 inches of water if I recall correctly.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Huff mentioned the bubble plate inside should have blank spot directly over the the pump outlet. #2 these skimmers run best in 8"s or deeper of water. I currently run mine in 10"s of water set at "MAX".

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.0%

Back