Bubble magus curve 5 quality issues

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a post to criticise bubble magus generally as I know several reefers that love theirs & it is ultimately a budget option but mine finally died today during its second clean.
After the air intake broke fairly quickly, the bubble plate cracked & one of the acrylic screws snapped off I persevered with it as it performed well.
Today I noticed it wasn't skimming properly & found a long crack in the main body.
I was planning on hunting for a new/used body for it but while removing the impeller to clean the spindle snapped!
I may have just been unlucky with this one but I've just ordered a NYOS 120 to replace.
Even at the price point the BM seems super fragile!

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a post to criticise bubble magus generally as I know several reefers that love theirs & it is ultimately a budget option but mine finally died today during its second clean.
After the air intake broke fairly quickly, the bubble plate cracked & one of the acrylic screws snapped off I persevered with it as it performed well.
Today I noticed it wasn't skimming properly & found a long crack in the main body.
I was planning on hunting for a new/used body for it but while removing the impeller to clean the spindle snapped!
I may have just been unlucky with this one but I've just ordered a NYOS 120 to replace.
Even at the price point the BM seems super fragile!
Seems like a lot of failures for one device. Are you cleaning in hot water? Not good if so.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also bought a bubble magnus for my first "real" skimmer. I was not super impressed with the build quality. I ordered an ultra reef and its not even close. The amount of extra material on the ultra reef (super beefy) could have probably built another bubble magnus.

Price point wise, its a bit more expensive, but this is one of the few things I felt had significant value over the cheaper option.

edit: the cup on my ultra reef probably weighs more than the entire bubble magnus

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back