Bubble magus curve 5 quality issues

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Joined
Feb 7, 2023
Messages
626
Reaction score
728
Location
Cambridge
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a post to criticise bubble magus generally as I know several reefers that love theirs & it is ultimately a budget option but mine finally died today during its second clean.
After the air intake broke fairly quickly, the bubble plate cracked & one of the acrylic screws snapped off I persevered with it as it performed well.
Today I noticed it wasn't skimming properly & found a long crack in the main body.
I was planning on hunting for a new/used body for it but while removing the impeller to clean the spindle snapped!
I may have just been unlucky with this one but I've just ordered a NYOS 120 to replace.
Even at the price point the BM seems super fragile!
 
Not a post to criticise bubble magus generally as I know several reefers that love theirs & it is ultimately a budget option but mine finally died today during its second clean.
After the air intake broke fairly quickly, the bubble plate cracked & one of the acrylic screws snapped off I persevered with it as it performed well.
Today I noticed it wasn't skimming properly & found a long crack in the main body.
I was planning on hunting for a new/used body for it but while removing the impeller to clean the spindle snapped!
I may have just been unlucky with this one but I've just ordered a NYOS 120 to replace.
Even at the price point the BM seems super fragile!
Seems like a lot of failures for one device. Are you cleaning in hot water? Not good if so.
 
I also bought a bubble magnus for my first "real" skimmer. I was not super impressed with the build quality. I ordered an ultra reef and its not even close. The amount of extra material on the ultra reef (super beefy) could have probably built another bubble magnus.

Price point wise, its a bit more expensive, but this is one of the few things I felt had significant value over the cheaper option.

edit: the cup on my ultra reef probably weighs more than the entire bubble magnus
 
That was my first skimmer at the recommendation of my LFS. I didn’t know anything about SW so I was oblivious. I was highly disappointed in that skimmer and for my new build, I also went with an Ultra Reef skimmer. Not even close in terms of quality.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new