Bubble Magus Filter Roll Gate Valve to control nitrate, phosphate

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its amazing how low nutrients can get when using bare bottom, high flow in the tank and a filter roll. I have a Bubble Magus filter roll and have been struggling to raise nitrates and phosphates. This is with a high feeding schedule, no skimmer and no fuge. My filter roller paper is always dirty so I created a 3D Printed gate valve to shunt the flow to bypass the filter paper. You can tune it to your desire. I believe the Clarisea filter comes with a gate valve installed, so I would definitely consider it over the Bubble Magus. But for the few out there that have a Bubble Magus filter roll, a 3D printer and low nutrients, this might be for you! Within 24 hours after installing I got my PO4 above zero!

Bulkhead
Gate Valve Files

IMG_4655.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 9.48.57 AM.png

Kan9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Bubble Magus roller filter on a new 215 gallon and cant keep Po4 down-Hanna checker says .35. Nitrates are 0 as well, trying to raise. I suspect I need to feed the tank (no fish yet) to raise No3, so may have nothing to do with Bubble Magus filter. Maybe GFO to lower Po4? Anyways just thought I'd share my experience with high Po4 and a Bubble Magus. Also, I use animalbean style drain and it seems I could accomplish same thing by opening the secondary Durso drain? Anyways, thanks for sharing, Bubble Magus roller is an awesome filter IMO.

OP
OP
Reef AquaCult

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest Phosphate E or Phosphate Rx over GFO. You could adjust the gate valve but it might bet noisy depending on amount of flow diverted.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back