Bubble snails?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Privateye
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Privateye

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 17, 2020
Messages
730
Reaction score
671
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took 5 of these home with me from work and tossed them in my 10 gallon. Does anyone have experience with them?

Bubble Snail.jpg


It's a 10 gallon that used to be a quarantine tank, but now it permanently houses a damsel, a goby, some mushrooms, and some ball anemones. It has a good amount and variety of algae too, so I'm not worried about trying these in that tank. They came out of a tank with no fish.

They have a small shell, but it's inside of the flesh. They burrow during the day and come out at night. They seem to lay egg masses about once a week. It would be great if they did the job of an algae eater and stirred the sand like a nassarius, but any benefit would be welcome. They seem to be pretty resilient, but they produce a lot of slime. I've had them for about 2 weeks. No issues so far, but nothing really noteworthy either. They're about 3/4 of an inch, so maybe things will change when I get a stable population.
 
Definitely bubble snails - no personal experience with them, but the below may be helpful:
Haminoeoidean Bubble Snails (Haloa and Haminoea species specifically) and Bulloidean Bubble Snails (Bulla species specifically). I wouldn't be surprised if more genera from the superfamilies looked similar as well, but I'm not super familiar (no pun intended) with these snails yet.

These kinds of bubble snails are generally herbivorous - so good, safe clean up crew in most cases.
 
HEy there, I have no idea, at first I though maybe stomatella, which are great! But not sure. Maybe @ISpeakForTheSeas will see this and have some idea.
I love stomatellas! They're arguably my favorite snail, but it's a toss-up with money cowries. I'm in the market for stomatellas again, so I'm always eyeing the glass at my LFS' for some. The last one I "nabbed" (was given for free) came from Top Shelf Aquatics. The first raceway when you walk in. The Top Shelf guys are pretty cool tbh.

Definitely bubble snails - no personal experience with them, but the below may be helpful:

Excellent! Thank you. I've seen some pics online of bubble snails like the one in that thread, where the flesh covers most of the shell but not all of it. These are different because the shell is completely encompassed in flesh, but I agree. No doubt they're bubble snails.
 
I love stomatellas! They're arguably my favorite snail, but it's a toss-up with money cowries. I'm in the market for stomatellas again, so I'm always eyeing the glass at my LFS' for some. The last one I "nabbed" (was given for free) came from Top Shelf Aquatics. The first raceway when you walk in. The Top Shelf guys are pretty cool tbh.



Excellent! Thank you. I've seen some pics online of bubble snails like the one in that thread, where the flesh covers most of the shell but not all of it. These are different because the shell is completely encompassed in flesh, but I agree. No doubt they're bubble snails.
Yeah I am a big fan as well! I got so excited to see one in my tank! It’s like I won a small lottery
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW LONG HAVE YOU PERSONALLY KEPT YOUR LONGEST-SERVING CURRENT RESIDENT?

  • Under 1 year

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 to under 3 years

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 to under 5 years

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 5 to under 10 years

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • 10 to under 20 years

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 20+ years

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I’ve lost track

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new