Bubble Tip Anemone bubbles and Salinity

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any scientific papers to back it up. When I worked for an online seller that was what I was told. All the wholesalers I have ever been to believe it is true. Some of them use natural seawater, so it costs them more to reduce the salinity.

Also Fresh water kills many parasites, as does hyposalinity, making it easy to believe it would make it harder for the to survive in lower salinity.

My personal experience backs this up.

so someone told them, then they told you, so you believe it, now you are telling someone else...as I said it may be true it may not be, no evidence to back this up, fish can live in many different salinity, just because they can live in a lower one doesn’t mean it is better for them.
I don’t see how your parasite argument supports what you are saying, parasites die in lower salinity how is that supporting your claim?

We could go back and forth with this argument forever, all I’m saying is there is no science I’ve seen to back this up, we got here because I said a lot of LFS use lower salinity to save money, I’m sure some believe this may also help the fish but IMO the main reason is to make a saving, no proof on that just my feeling, same as your reason for believing lower salinity helps fish.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not just anyone told me this. It was not some know it all with 5 posts and a 2 moth old tank on facebook. Very respected authorities and large wholesalers told me so. If they were just trying to save money the would not spend extra time and dollars lower the salinity of natural seawater.
This whole thread is full of baseless claims as to what makes anemones bubble or not. Many already proven to have no coalition at all.

OP
OP
J

Justin_Casper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
laverda does have a point about the entire thread being baseless claims . It’s just fun to tinker and see if we can bring out the best in our animals.

It’s a whole separate topic about fish/energy/salinity/disease which would be cool to explore in a different thread. I’ll see if there’s research to support either way.

OP
OP
J

Justin_Casper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And no need to get heated. Either way, like I said, this is a hobby (unless you work in the industry) and we’re trying to bring the best out in our animals.

We still have people parroting that nitrite is harmful to marine fish, so an interesting viewpoint on low salinity in LFS’s is the least of my worry on baseless claims.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to point out this info was from credible resources, that I have no reason to question. I have not taken the time to research for any studies as I had no reason to question the sources.
Like others I am curious as to why BTAs bubble or not, hence my thread on feeding them krill. I have been feeding several of my anemones krill every other day since 11/21 till now with no signs of bubbles on any of them.

Last edited:

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
laverda does have a point about the entire thread being baseless claims . It’s just fun to tinker and see if we can bring out the best in our animals.

It’s a whole separate topic about fish/energy/salinity/disease which would be cool to explore in a different thread. I’ll see if there’s research to support either way.

Not sure how, making a point that the thread is full of baseless claims, just to come out with one himself.

I said why I believe some LFS have low salinity and he comes back with it’s for fish health and a better survival rate, if that were the case we all would be running our tanks low but most don’t.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to point out this info was from credible resources, that I have no reason to question. I have not taken the time to research for any studies as I had no reason to question the sources.
Like others I am curious as to why BTAs bubble or not, hence my thread on feeding them krill. I have been feeding several of my anemones krill every other day since 11/21 till now with no signs of bubbles on any of them.

My simple point was it’s to do with saving money, you may or may not be right, you can and did make that point, but there was no need to quote my post as if I was saying something incorrect and you were correcting me, you could have still made your point without doing that, I did say a couple of posts back, I believe some LFS do believe it helps, I have never said it was just for the saving.

OP
OP
J

Justin_Casper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s really not that serious.

Back to the regularly scheduled program. As the days go by, I’m finding out that it doesn’t seem to matter if I feed the nems or not, both that I feed are stringy and the one I do not is bubbly as ever. And of the two I feed, ones directly in some moderate flow, and the other is in a basket near the surface with very little flow.

I’m banking on it being a mood type thing.

OP
OP
J

Justin_Casper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you feeding strictly krill? Your thread is the one that spurred this when I discovered the salinity of both LFS bags.

Might merge this discussion over to your thread if you don’t mind. Has kind of become a catch all of “why do some anemones bubble and some dont”

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef.
I am sorry if I agitated you. That was not my intention.
People with fish only systems typically keep there salinity lower for these reasons. A reef tank needs the higher salinity to provide the proper Alk,CA, Mag and other elements need by corals.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you feeding strictly krill? Your thread is the one that spurred this when I discovered the salinity of both LFS bags.

Might merge this discussion over to your thread if you don’t mind. Has kind of become a catch all of “why do some anemones bubble and some dont”
I don't normally feed my BTAs at all directly. I feed my fish flake food daily and an auto feeder feeds pellets 4 times a day. Some of the anemones are directly under the feeder, so get some of the pellets. Others are not and one is at the other side of my tank where it would get little if any fish food. Most would consider my tank dirty as my nitrates are 20-25 typically and have been much higher for a long time. When I first set up my ATS running it 24/7 nitrates and phosphates dropped to almost zero and my corals and anemones were not happy.
I have 2 theories to try next, based on feed back I have received, people's tank parameters and from what I have read in other threads. 1. Lots of blue light. (Quantifying this may be hard with so many different lights available.) 2. Low nutrient levels.

I have no problem with merging the treads except it may make it a bit confusing.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef.
I am sorry if I agitated you. That was not my intention.
People with fish only systems typically keep there salinity lower for these reasons. A reef tank needs the higher salinity to provide the proper Alk,CA, Mag and other elements need by corals.
Cheers, appreciate it, I think it was just a misunderstanding, you were making your point and I was making mine and we probably forgot there are more than one reason why we do most things in this hobby, so there can be more than one correct answer.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a BTA in my reef/QT tank at a salinity of 1.019 and it did not do very well. It did not have bubbles either.

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been gone a week lol
But BTA has been much happier after moving my masisve elegance coral out.
And my alage is under control
Was a good week lol

Attachments

• 20210128_221525.jpg
    20210128_221525.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 35

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the days go by, I’m finding out that it doesn’t seem to matter if I feed the nems or not, both that I feed are stringy and the one I do not is bubbly as ever. And of the two I feed, ones directly in some moderate flow, and the other is in a basket near the surface with very little flow.

I’m banking on it being a mood type thing.
My conclusion is pretty much the same. Feeding makes no difference.

There seams to be something to your statement "basket near the surface with very little flow" contributing to bubbles. Backing up my thoughts that it is a combination of things. Would you say yours in the basket is under high or low light?

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know coral are flora not fauna so alot of my education would not apply (botanist) but i believe the reason they havent found a solid reason for the bubbles is phenotypic variation. There may be no cause just different phenotypes

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back