Bubble Tip Anemone bubbles and Salinity

Justin_Casper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just was browsing the thread about BTAs and krill, but something I noticed recently got me thinking while reading that thread. Has anyone tested how salinity or NO3/PO4 levels effect the bubbles on BTAs?

Recently got 2 rainbow anemones from 2 different places. At both places the anemones had bubbles in their stock tanks. Measured salinity when I got home of the bags and they were between 30-31ppt and NO3 was around 20

When I put them in my tank after acclimation (33-34ppt, NO3: 5ppm), both lost the bubbles over the next few days and haven’t regained.

Just interesting. I’m going to try dropping my salinity and seeing if it effects the tentacles. Also going to play around with nitrates.

BTW, I post this and embark on the journey, full well knowing it’s a never ending black hole with a million theories and no answers

OP
OP
J

Justin_Casper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have been studied for years, and still no answers why they have bubbles or not or why they change from having them to not, or from not to having.
That’s what’s irking me. There has to be SOME reason/s why they come and go. It’s almost like they have moods lol.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw I have 5 btas right next to each other. 4 have bubbles. 1 doesn't. I don't think it's a salinity thing
20210102_153917.jpg

U

User1

View Badges
That’s what’s irking me. There has to be SOME reason/s why they come and go. It’s almost like they have moods lol.

There are indeed reasons for everything. The challenge is finding the right person to ask. In this case I would wager only Mother Nature knows the real answer to this question.

I'm in the camp that believes it is related to flow. I've never had a bubble tip that sported bubbles in high flow or rapidly moving patterns. This is just my opinion and nothing to really back it up. I am no expert other than having a peak number of RBTA's of 14. I am down now to about 7 or so and not one of them has any bubble tips at the moment. Go figure.

Here is one example.

IMG_20200827_113013.jpg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty color morph.
Thanks. I'll also mention that all of my btas (including my green which isn't pictured) split like crazy. Except for the big rose one. It never bubbles or splits. Just grows like crazy

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PersonallyI think it's a "mood" thing. Sometimes all 14+ of mine are "bubbled", sometimes not and sometimes it's half of them and it doesn't appear flow matters. The only affect I've noticed related to flow is they bloom/puff up more.

IMG_7530.JPG

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine goes stringy when it wants food
Ill post a photo now of it and when im home ill upload a video. Till i give it food then it bubbles up and its like that till its hungry again in a few days or so
Now idk the reason i just know how to get mine to bubble up
Year of having it and its always worked this way for me

Attachments

• 20210102_162318.jpg
    20210102_162318.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 54

Radicalrob1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just was browsing the thread about BTAs and krill, but something I noticed recently got me thinking while reading that thread. Has anyone tested how salinity or NO3/PO4 levels effect the bubbles on BTAs?

Recently got 2 rainbow anemones from 2 different places. At both places the anemones had bubbles in their stock tanks. Measured salinity when I got home of the bags and they were between 30-31ppt and NO3 was around 20

When I put them in my tank after acclimation (33-34ppt, NO3: 5ppm), both lost the bubbles over the next few days and haven’t regained.

Just interesting. I’m going to try dropping my salinity and seeing if it effects the tentacles. Also going to play around with nitrates.

BTW, I post this and embark on the journey, full well knowing it’s a never ending black hole with a million theories and no answers
I bought one a few months ago. It seemed to be ok until last week and it split. I figured it would do so at some point. It still seems happy and mine is always bubbly. My salt is stable at 35 ppt. My alk I keep at 7.5 dkh. My nitrates are usually around 5 ppm. My calc is 480 and my mag is around 1350. I dose seachem eight four for alk since I only have a 20 long aquarium. I had one a long time ago and it was always stringy. I barely feed my new one at all. It's always full and blooming. So far both halves are happy from what I can tell. I just believe they are what they are. If you keep things stable and provide it with food and light they should be ok. As long as you can see growth you should be on the right track. Mine tripled in size before it split.

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one a few months ago. It seemed to be ok until last week and it split. I figured it would do so at some point. It still seems happy and mine is always bubbly. My salt is stable at 35 ppt. My alk I keep at 7.5 dkh. My nitrates are usually around 5 ppm. My calc is 480 and my mag is around 1350. I dose seachem eight four for alk since I only have a 20 long aquarium. I had one a long time ago and it was always stringy. I barely feed my new one at all. It's always full and blooming. So far both halves are happy from what I can tell. I just believe they are what they are. If you keep things stable and provide it with food and light they should be ok. As long as you can see growth you should be on the right track. Mine tripled in size before it split.
Nice boss!!
stabilty is power in a reef

OP
OP
J

Justin_Casper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine goes stringy when it wants food
Ill post a photo now of it and when im home ill upload a video. Till i give it food then it bubbles up and its like that till its hungry again in a few days or so
Now idk the reason i just know how to get mine to bubble up
Year of having it and its always worked this way for me
This is interesting. Kind of like the Krill thread.

OP
OP
J

Justin_Casper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are indeed reasons for everything. The challenge is finding the right person to ask. In this case I would wager only Mother Nature knows the real answer to this question.

I'm in the camp that believes it is related to flow. I've never had a bubble tip that sported bubbles in high flow or rapidly moving patterns. This is just my opinion and nothing to really back it up. I am no expert other than having a peak number of RBTA's of 14. I am down now to about 7 or so and not one of them has any bubble tips at the moment. Go figure.

Here is one example.

IMG_20200827_113013.jpg

Type of flow is also something to explore. Like the back and forth of a Tunze Wave Box vs Ecotech Reef Crest vs laminar flow

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm i will try a bit
But tbh mine just hides under the flow
It will deal with it but it likes weird areas like under the power head or behind the return pump weird guy
Grown good thou

Radicalrob1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice boss!!
stabilty is power in a reef
I know off topic. But I found since I keep my alk steady everyday I've seen my Digitatas take off. I'm guessing I'm getting about a good inch of growth overall per month on them. Sometimes they don't grow taller but fill out more. I've never checked par but I have a 4*24 grow light t5 about 10 inches above so 24 to the sandbed. I run a 6500 k bulb and it seems to help with color and growth. My digis are sitting about 12 inches below.

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know off topic. But I found since I keep my alk steady everyday I've seen my Digitatas take off. I'm guessing I'm getting about a good inch of growth overall per month on them. Sometimes they don't grow taller but fill out more. I've never checked par but I have a 4*24 grow light t5 about 10 inches above so 24 to the sandbed. I run a 6500 k bulb and it seems to help with color and growth. My digis are sitting about 12 inches below.
Yea once i got more stable my fire storm took off and so did my miyugi tort i was very happy

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back