OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - rodi will lower salinity. You might want to try a bit, but your number, if correct, is good. I'm still suspicious of your number.
To lower alk you will need to do water changes with a salt that has lower alk than you have now. Which is all of them. I didn't see what you are using but look it up. Some salts are high alk and some lower. Just do more water changes with a lower alk salt and it will come down.

This coming Saturday I'm go to clean and do a 6 gallon water change with a different brand of salt.

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your using instant ocean reef crystals the alk is naturally very high. Switch salts when you run out.

How is your nem doing now?

Okay this plays a part then with the alk I use that salt as well as dosed some alk a while back lol. What about the instant ocean sea salt is it the same as reef crystal?

My nem is doing nem things.. When it started this mess it's mouth was opened a bit. It's mouth is now closed a puckered up a little bit. Thanks for asking.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. I don't expect it to go down fast I don't have a lot of coral.

Yes... I would agree. Your consumption rate is probably low because of that.

To rule out the salt mix, I'd make a small batch and test it. I've been having problems with IO Reef Crystals of late. The last box mixed to a dKH of 4.5 and the replacement box mixed to a Mg of 1600+

So check that before you do water changes with it.

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes... I would agree. Your consumption rate is probably low because of that.

To rule out the salt mix, I'd make a small batch and test it. I've been having problems with IO Reef Crystals of late. The last box mixed to a dKH of 4.5 and the replacement box mixed to a Mg of 1600+

So check that before you do water changes with it.

Will do! Thanks

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a few days, does he nem look any better?

Well actually.. I come home from a rough day at work, and it's gone. So I look around the tank and it moved. To behind the rock work ugh.. So I guess I now know it must have been a lighting thing.

But right now it does look a little better.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

At the time of this video, my alk was 8.5 stable. I raised it to 11.5...changed salt, but I'm holding it there stable. Nemmies are happy and so are my coral. I'll post an updated video soon. You can have elevated ALK..but gotta be careful. ONE swing isn't too bad, but it can't be constant and I think going up isn't as harsh as going down because ph gets more stable the higher alk is.

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

At the time of this video, my alk was 8.5 stable. I raised it to 11.5...changed salt, but I'm holding it there stable. Nemmies are happy and so are my coral. I'll post an updated video soon. You can have elevated ALK..but gotta be careful. ONE swing isn't too bad, but it can't be constant and I think going up isn't as harsh as going down because ph gets more stable the higher alk is.

Cool a lot learned from this. As of now I'm probably still going to lower just a bit. Thanks

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't 100% mean a lighting thing. Could mean he's trying to find better water and getting away.

Finding better water? It's a tank; the water quality will be the same throughout.

I'm guessing lighting or flow issue.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finding better water? It's a tank; the water quality will be the same throughout.

I'm guessing lighting or flow issue.

Do you think the nemmie knows that? All the nemmie knows, is it doesn't like where it is, so it moves. Period. It's why people say, keep your water quality stable and good. It's not because it's a medal, it's because if your water is good, that's one less thing to check mark when it moves around.

It's like concepts you learn as common sense in IT when troubleshooting other people don't learn... in alot of ways keeping a tank is the same as troubleshooting in IT.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back