OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finding better water? It's a tank; the water quality will be the same throughout.

I'm guessing lighting or flow issue.

So it's not a alk thing? Because if not I'll just wait out the alk and let it go down.

What should I assume if the nem is still closed when moved in a different spot after a day or 2?

Well Im on my way home again..lol. I guess I'll see what it's doing.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's def at the least NOT helping. Lower the ALK (SLOWLY, if the nemmie dies in the meantime, it was going to anyway, if it doesn't great!). It doesn't have to be ONE thing. Trust me...

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm now home and it has made its way to the very front. Which is better than the back because I can actually view him.

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So starting to day I'll just do a normal water change to lower alk nothing big. I'm not going to feed my nem any more. He does seem to like it we're he is right in the front.

Thanks for everyone's help! I truly appreciate it.

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a black/grey sand! It was given to me for free from a free lol.
The black sand killed everything in my tank. I did an ICP test and it was leaching nickel, its like lead poisoning. My nem looked like that with really short tentacles, then shrank and died over the course of a month. I lost lots of corals. Zoas were pretty hardy, as was the hammer and frogspawn, but didn't really grow well and didn't have great color. sps all died, some within days. Once I got all the sand out my tank was thriving within a month.

Others have had problems with black sand too. Look on here for many horror stories. I would recommend either getting an ICP test or getting all the sand out.

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black sand killed everything in my tank. I did an ICP test and it was leaching nickel, its like lead poisoning. My nem looked like that with really short tentacles, then shrank and died over the course of a month. I lost lots of corals. Zoas were pretty hardy, as was the hammer and frogspawn, but didn't really grow well and didn't have great color. sps all died, some within days. Once I got all the sand out my tank was thriving within a month.

Others have had problems with black sand too. Look on here for many horror stories. I would recommend either getting an ICP test or getting all the sand out.

Whoa had know idea.. kinda scary. Thanks

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright just wanted to inform everyone I think it's going to die. I woke up and he moved again. I can now see more brown coming out of his mouth. I can also see the insides of his mouth. He hasn't really opened any either. Thanks for the help anyways I guess I'll never really know what happened.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright just wanted to inform everyone I think it's going to die. I woke up and he moved again. I can now see more brown coming out of his mouth. I can also see the insides of his mouth. He hasn't really opened any either. Thanks for the help anyways I guess I'll never really know what happened.
You may want to get him out before he dies. They can become a little messy upon death. Maybe the LFS would take it back for a month or so?

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to get him out before he dies. They can become a little messy upon death. Maybe the LFS would take it back for a month or so?

I could always try but probably not tonight my local fish store is 3 hours away.. They would close before I get there.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know if this was mentioned but anemones are incredibly sensitive to swings in Ph and alkalinity. It’s very hard to say what the cause was, but if it happened fast you may want to start monitoring both of those and making sure they aren’t fluctuating much. pH can sometimes fluctuate at night when the lights are off, maybe start testing PH during the day and in the morning a few hours before the lights turn on.

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know if this was mentioned but anemones are incredibly sensitive to swings in Ph and alkalinity. It’s very hard to say what the cause was, but if it happened fast you may want to start monitoring both of those and making sure they aren’t fluctuating much. pH can sometimes fluctuate at night when the lights are off, maybe start testing PH during the day and in the morning a few hours before the lights turn on.

Yeah my higher alk definitely didn't help. So I'll monitor these a bit more for a few days. One question how would I get the ph to not swing at night?

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my higher alk definitely didn't help. So I'll monitor these a bit more for a few days. One question how would I get the ph to not swing at night?
It will always fluctuate a little bit but shouldn't more than .1. Try running your fuge light on an opposite lighting schedule of your main light and that may help.

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will always fluctuate a little bit but shouldn't more than .1. Try running your fuge light on an opposite lighting schedule of your main light and that may help.

I actually don't run a fuge any more. But I have a moon light that give off little light at night

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a small red sea max. No fuge. Messed up parameters as I was learning. Nem did great. The normal alk / ph swings you have during the day/night shouldn't be an issue. Adding a lot of alk at a time can cause a swing, but that would be a sudden event and tends to kill SPS. I still think it was more a problem with water parameters. How is everything else in the tank doing?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.7%
Back