Bubble Tip Anemone Tank (Thoughts?)

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef2Reef Fam,

I have a 20 gallon Nuvo Fusion that I would like to convert into an all bubble tip Anemone Aquarium. I have currently selling off all my torches, Octos and Hammers. I love them but I feel like too many things could go wrong with euphyllia. I know it's the name of the game but I thought I dabble more into the Anemone side of things.

I have had my tank for a year in a half and the parameters are great!
- Alk: 7.3 Stable
- Calcium: 440
- Phosphate: .07
- Temp: 78-79
- Salinity: 1.025

Tank Mates:
- 2 Longfin Clowns
- Carpenters Wrasse
- Fighting Conch
- Fire Shrimp
- Couple of Snails (Turbos)

Lighting:
Ai Prime HD (One)

My question is, is it really difficult to keep an all anemone tank? I have heard we couldn't mix all types of bubble tip anemones... is this statement true or false? How is feeding the anemones? Reef Roids, pellets and brine shrimp enough?

I do keep my UV at 9% total on my aquarium which I think ill have to bump up. Thoughts on that please.

I just want to make sure before I purchase my first Anemone, that I don't mess things up. I do regular water changes weekly and sometimes ill get a little lazy and do once every two weeks.

Thanks for the help!

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have green, rose, rainbow, Sherman, and some other type (maybe a candy corn?) all together in our 75. I run kessil A360WE's ramped up to 100 percent mid-day for like 4 hours they all seem fine growing and splitting, no chemical warfare but I dont have the super high end stuff. They get fed a little bit of krill once a week and catch the foods that the fish get fed daily. Your results may vary.... :) happy reefing
Here are some older shots...
20200903_204222.jpg
20200902_155414.jpg

Those 2 on top are a full 6 to 8 inches across when fully inflated

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I’m starting a nem tank too! Currently I’ve got a Sunset Strip and a CSB in there together and they’re okay. I’ve also got 5 rock flower anemones and a couple of softies just to fill it out while the nems multiply. I’d love to check out your euphyllia for sale! I have a bunch of ultra speckled RBTA that split pretty regularly so if you’re interested in a trade I’m all in!

OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I’m starting a nem tank too! Currently I’ve got a Sunset Strip and a CSB in there together and they’re okay. I’ve also got 5 rock flower anemones and a couple of softies just to fill it out while the nems multiply. I’d love to check out your euphyllia for sale! I have a bunch of ultra speckled RBTA that split pretty regularly so if you’re interested in a trade I’m all in!
Very nice! I wish you were located in Houston... i could hook you up. Do you have any pictures of your tank now? What does your alk and such look like? What light are you running as well?

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s actually much easier to keep a nano nem tank once it’s mature. Just weekly WC to maintain parameters. No testing of triton.

Occasionally I test nitrate and phosphate but use my eyes to observe before I take action on an outbreak of algae. This will depend on how often you feed your tank. If you feed your Nems then levels will raise much faster than to just fish. Now if you want them to split you have to feed very frequently and then do a WC where the salinity is 2-3 SG different.

I do use a HOB protein skimmer from time to time when an emergency happens. And carbon as well if they spawn.

The only caution with mixing BTA is that some will have strains of bacteria that will kill each other. Such as wild vs mariculture, and some mariculture to each other. But treatment with antibiotics before introducing to the tank will solve that issue.

Your tank is ready and good. I would keep the UV. I don’t know how the wrasse will do though.

OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s actually much easier to keep a nano nem tank once it’s mature. Just weekly WC to maintain parameters. No testing of triton.

Occasionally I test nitrate and phosphate but use my eyes to observe before I take action on an outbreak of algae. This will depend on how often you feed your tank. If you feed your Nems then levels will raise much faster than to just fish. Now if you want them to split you have to feed very frequently and then do a WC where the salinity is 2-3 SG different.

I do use a HOB protein skimmer from time to time when an emergency happens. And carbon as well if they spawn.

The only caution with mixing BTA is that some will have strains of bacteria that will kill each other. Such as wild vs mariculture, and some mariculture to each other. But treatment with antibiotics before introducing to the tank will solve that issue.

Your tank is ready and good. I would keep the UV. I don’t know how the wrasse will do though.

Thank you for your response! Few questions I have after reading.

1) I change chemipure blue out once a month. Will that basically take care of the carbon part? I have a protein skimmer as well but that's because I do water changes once every two weeks. Once I get the anemones in there, I need to figure out how much to dose on alk. I am sure it will be different than what I have in there now.

2) What antibiotics do you use before introducing? I have Revive. I dip all my corals i there before introducing to the tank. Not sure if that is the same thing.

3) Keep UV? I have mine at 9% all day. I am guessing raising that since I know anemones love light.

I am debating on keeping the wrasse in there or not. I do like the little guy but ill probably need to keep an eye on him.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 3 year old 55 gallon, but I run it the same as a nano tank.

I think just keep running your tank the way that you are used to. Then as time goes by, dial down to what makes it easiest. KISS is the best method.

Do more research into the antibiotics. It’s in the sticky of this forum. If you buy from other reeders then there is no need. Really just items shipped and wild specimens.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No expert on nems here but a friend of mine has a small biocube with led upgrade thats nothing but bubble tip nems and he has never had a problem except for them splitting to often and some of them have changed colors over time and him finding ppl to give them away he gives each one 1 pcs of small krill a week and does a 25 percent water change every 2 weeks and has 1 clown in the tank with 1 large hermit and 1 large turbo snail hope that helps

OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No expert on nems here but a friend of mine has a small biocube with led upgrade thats nothing but bubble tip nems and he has never had a problem except for them splitting to often and some of them have changed colors over time and him finding ppl to give them away he gives each one 1 pcs of small krill a week and does a 25 percent water change every 2 weeks and has 1 clown in the tank with 1 large hermit and 1 large turbo snail hope that helps
Some very good feedback! Thank you for sharing. I’ll take this into consideration as I sell my corals for anemones. So far so good. Half gone.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck to you I hope all goes well as iv always loved nems just hate that they move around and have always been worried it'll wind up in the wave pump or on a Fav coral so iv never kept them post a pic when you get it all setup cant wait to see it

OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it different kind of bubble tips or one kind?

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diffrent kinds of bubble tips as in diffrent colors but within the same species Entacmaea quadricolor

Last edited:

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
family Actiniidae as is my understand all bubble tips are the difrent colors come from the symbiotic zooxanthellae

Last edited:

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume they changed color over time becouse they favored one type of zooxanthellae which was better suited for the lights he had

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will note they were still rainbow like and vastly diffrent from one another but they lost alot of the green and orange they had and became more red blue purple

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back