Bubble tip hosting ocellaris clowns

ahill25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I picked up a small rainbow bubble tip anenome from my lfs and I have 2 ocellaris clowns. Does anyone have any tips on how to get them to host in it? I've had the clowns for about 6 months.

image.jpg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t do anything to get them to host. You’ll just have e to be patient
+1
They will do it naturally.
I did read that there is a trick where you show them videos of clowns hosting a bta and it inspires them to do so, but I have not tested this myself.

Or they can be annoying (as clowns are) and pick any of your other corals to live in despite the bta specifically for them...

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I picked up a small rainbow bubble tip anenome from my lfs and I have 2 ocellaris clowns. Does anyone have any tips on how to get them to host in it? I've had the clowns for about 6 months.

image.jpg
Some people have success showing the fish a video of clownfish in anemone (like a youtube video or whatever). Did not work for me, but hey, might work for you.

FlowGod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they already have a host?
That may complicate things...
My maroon's had a host but took to the BTA's I put in. It took a few months for them to move into their new homes though. I tried putting a picture of clownfish in anemones on the glass and that didn't do anything, haha
From my experience it just takes time like stated above

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair that didn’t want to host, I used a laptop and put next to tank showing hosting for 8 hours on loop and it worked , they started by going to bed in the nem then fully hosting all day

SE7ƎN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took over 6 months for my clowns to figure it out, however, they finally did.

I tried the video method, but the two Dum-Dum’s were afraid of the video and hid in the back of the tank, so that was a fail.

Eventually, I had to move my Nem, so before relocating it to a different place, I put it in a small plastic colander bowl along with my 2x clownfish for a couple of days and hung it at the top, and eventually one of the Dum-Dum’s finally figured it out, started rubbing the side of it. I would have kept them there longer, but I had to leave for a few days so I had to put them back in the tank and they all went their separate ways giving zero care about the Nem. Facepalm. However, a week later, one slowly started going back to it again, spending more and more time on it. It started as suckling it for a while almost in a completely stoned like state, to eventually rubbing itself in it and spending time snuggling in.

Good Luck!

Attachments

• IMG_1117.MOV
    15.8 MB
  • 69328197-7220-4C68-88E0-2AAA96614B1D.jpeg
    69328197-7220-4C68-88E0-2AAA96614B1D.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 63798B36-A686-47D6-8518-0F2CFA0AA424.jpeg
    63798B36-A686-47D6-8518-0F2CFA0AA424.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 1FC73EA1-59A7-4F78-BAE6-8C19156BEEBE.jpeg
    1FC73EA1-59A7-4F78-BAE6-8C19156BEEBE.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 55

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not suggest getting them to host this way but this is how I was able to get my clown fish to host my green bubble tip anemones. I initially bought a rose bubble tip anemone and afterwords bought a green bubble Tip Anemone since they ignored the rbta. Then they ignored both of them. Lol! I tried getting them to watch videos and that didn’t work. I then prematurely purchased a magnifica; which they fell in love with in 1-2 weeks. Unfortunately, the the magnifica only made it about a month. I don’t believe it was in condition when it came from the store and my tank wasn’t as mature as it should have been. Any who, I disposed of the magnifica when he died and in less than a week, the stone the builders rejected was now the popular kid. They were all in the gbta, which they never glanced at before. I bought a 2nd gbta and they fell in love with that as well. They still ignore the rbta. Weirdos! I think they were desperate for something when the magnifica was gone and the closest thing tentacle-wise was the gbta. Which my gbta’s don’t have bubbled tips but my rose does. Who knows the true reason but I think they felt like they needed something desperately as a replacement.

I have a black percula and a Ocellaris clownfish. They’re pretty young.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpg
Click your heels together 3 times......
I've had both for 2 years and still nothing.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on video working. I taped an ipad to the tank and looped a youtube video and the nem hosted them in about 2 days.
I tried it for 2 weeks straight lol. Picture has been taped up now for a month. Still nada

Back