Bubble Tip or LTA?

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing a lot of research lately into getting my first anemone for a mixed reef tank. Tank is 5 months old and very biodiverse, so I believe now would be a suitable time for an anemone to thrive.

My main question is deciding between a Bubble Tip or Long Tentacle Anemone.
Aesthetically, I like the LTA more, but I know they get larger than the BTA. Space is a concern as this is going in a Red Sea Nano Peninsula(27gal).
Additionally, I want the anemone that is most likely to host my two Ocellaris clownfish. I know neither naturally host Ocellaris in the wild, but from what I've seen online they tend to prefer longer tentacles, that is purely anecdotal though.
Most importantly, I'd prefer this anemone to settle itself on rock, rather than in the sand bed. I've read that LTAs are typically sand dwellers but can also mount to rock. I guess I'm looking for more opinions on this aspect. How likely is it for a LTA to settle itself on a rock? Which is more likely to host clownfish?

Any opinions or experiences would be appreciated!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long tentacle should be on sand where it will burrow and attach to the glass. Bubble tip are rock dwellers. This is my experience having kept both. My bubble tips settle and stay put. My LTA did well on the sand for about 6 months then started wandering but never once attached to a rock. I would not get a LTA and hope to get it to attach to a rock. If you want a rock dwelling nem go with the bubble JMO

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long tentacle should be on sand where it will burrow and attach to the glass. Bubble tip are rock dwellers. This is my experience having kept both. My bubble tips settle and stay put. My LTA did well on the sand for about 6 months then started wandering but never once attached to a rock. I would not get a LTA and hope to get it to attach to a rock. If you want a rock dwelling nem go with the bubble JMO

Yeah, I figured as much. I will likely go with a BTA. I'm hoping it will stay put once it attaches. I believe I have a great spot on one of my main rocks for a BTA in terms of the lighting and flow it'll want, but I know it's very likely it'll decide to walk around.

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed here, if you don't give an LTA at least 3 inches of sand they tend to wander and be generally unhappy.

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How has your experience been with Ocellaris Clownfish hosting BTA? My two clownfish currently don't host anything, so I'm hoping the addition of an Anemone will make it the obvious choice for them.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I figured as much. I will likely go with a BTA. I'm hoping it will stay put once it attaches. I believe I have a great spot on one of my main rocks for a BTA in terms of the lighting and flow it'll want, but I know it's very likely it'll decide to walk around.
Mine have been staying put for a few years. I have them isolated on an island up high in the tank. Every now and then one will wander but I think its just because they get to crowded as they are getting large. Turn off flow and place it where you want an hope it attaches. They'll usually attach immediately if flow is off but whether it stays there or not is a different matter.

How has your experience been with Ocellaris Clownfish hosting BTA? My two clownfish currently don't host anything, so I'm hoping the addition of an Anemone will make it the obvious choice for them.
I have a pair of clowns that host but am ashamed to say I can't remember if they are ocellaris or percs.
nems.jpg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'll go against the grain here. I would go LTA over BTA every day of the week. They can be just as mobile until they find their spot, but in my experience, are much less likely to walk on a path of destruction, are much more tolerant of coral in there sphere of influence, can be more planned for as you know they will be at the sand bed where it meets some rock with their foot tucked as far back as they can get it. They don't split which may end up being a problem in a sub 30 gallon tank and are more visually appealing to me.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agreed here, if you don't give an LTA at least 3 inches of sand they tend to wander and be generally unhappy.
but will they stay put if there is only a single spot with sand? If tank is bare bottom with a "bowl" of sand, can you trap the LTA in that spot?

umm just asking for a friend.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but will they stay put if there is only a single spot with sand? If tank is bare bottom with a "bowl" of sand, can you trap the LTA in that spot?

Maybe. Some have been successful giving them a small terracotta clay pot to dig their foot into with sand.

I don't know what the percentage of success is on that though.

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'll go against the grain here. I would go LTA over BTA every day of the week. They can be just as mobile until they find their spot, but in my experience, are much less likely to walk on a path of destruction, are much more tolerant of coral in there sphere of influence, can be more planned for as you know they will be at the sand bed where it meets some rock with their foot tucked as far back as they can get it. They don't split which may end up being a problem in a sub 30 gallon tank and are more visually appealing to me.

Hmmmm. Being less destructive is a huge plus for me, as I do have a lot of corals. My issue with the sand bed is that there's not much space. I have a large bubble colony, a pearl bubble that is growing, a baby clam that will eventually get larger, and a very large Cynarina all on the sand bed. I have large rocks that take up 60% of the sand bed.

I'm sure there would be a number of great locations for a LTA to find a home among those rock crevices at the sand bed, but my sand bed is only about 2" and I think my lighting may be a bit too low at the sand bed around the rocks. I have a lighting profile that my corals LOVE and don't really want to mess with it.

The spot that I want to put this anemone(knowing it may not stay) is very much towards the top of the tank. My main piece of rock has a great 'bowl' built into it with all sorts of nooks within that bowl. It gets great light and low to moderate flow. It sounds like a BTA would be best for this location, but what if I filled the bowl with sand?

What do you think?

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've seen a fair amount of success personally with getting a 4 inch PVC coupler, putting a PVC cap in one end as a bottom, and filling this with sand. It is usually enough sand to keep the average sand anemone in place, as long as you don't mind the look of it.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm. Being less destructive is a huge plus for me, as I do have a lot of corals. My issue with the sand bed is that there's not much space. I have a large bubble colony, a pearl bubble that is growing, a baby clam that will eventually get larger, and a very large Cynarina all on the sand bed. I have large rocks that take up 60% of the sand bed.

I'm sure there would be a number of great locations for a LTA to find a home among those rock crevices at the sand bed, but my sand bed is only about 2" and I think my lighting may be a bit too low at the sand bed around the rocks. I have a lighting profile that my corals LOVE and don't really want to mess with it.

The spot that I want to put this anemone(knowing it may not stay) is very much towards the top of the tank. My main piece of rock has a great 'bowl' built into it with all sorts of nooks within that bowl. It gets great light and low to moderate flow. It sounds like a BTA would be best for this location, but what if I filled the bowl with sand?

What do you think?
Let's see a FTS. Those two nems aren't the only ones. You have some valid concerns.

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see a FTS. Those two nems aren't the only ones. You have some valid concerns.

It's dark right now, so there may not be the best tank shots but they get the point across. Red circle indicates the 'bowl' I was talking about. Took a close up of it as well. The bowl is about 6" from the water surface I'd say.

Attachments

• IMG-6700.jpg
    IMG-6700.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG-6699.jpg
    IMG-6699.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 104

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's dark right now, so there may not be the best tank shots but they get the point across. Red circle indicates the 'bowl' I was talking about. Took a close up of it as well. The bowl is about 6" from the water surface I'd say.
Is that a 50 or 90 above the tank?

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a 50 or 90 above the tank?
I have a 50 and a 12" AI Blade Grow(you can see it behind the 50 fixture). I have a nice spectrum going between the two of them, everything is loving it. Should be pretty strong at that depth. I imagine a BTA would probably want to stay higher in the tank anyway, so that's why I suspected the bowl to be an ideal location for it. I know LTAs like higher lighting too, so that's where the putting sand into that bowl idea came from haha.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50 and a 12" AI Blade Grow(you can see it behind the 50 fixture). I have a nice spectrum going between the two of them, everything is loving it. Should be pretty strong at that depth. I imagine a BTA would probably want to stay higher in the tank anyway, so that's why I suspected the bowl to be an ideal location for it. I know LTAs like higher lighting too, so that's where the putting sand into that bowl idea came from haha.
If given the chance, BTA generally will want to sink their foot into a crevas or hole where they can slightly retreat to. That spot does not look like one a BTA would choose, to me.

They are also crazy and there's often no telling.

I would say the 50 +blade is likely not strong enough for an LTA at the depth in the front of the tank where you'd want it.

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If given the chance, BTA generally will want to sink their foot into a crevas or hole where they can slightly retreat to. That spot does not look like one a BTA would choose, to me.

They are also crazy and there's often no telling.

I would say the 50 +blade is likely not strong enough for an LTA at the depth in the front of the tank where you'd want it.
There's a number of deeper nooks within that bowl, hard to see in the pictures I provided. I can take better pictures tomorrow when the lights are on. Lots of similar nooks all around this rock.

As for the LTA, yeah agreed about there not being enough light for it at the bottom of the tank towards the front. Thoughts on my sand in bowl idea? I could probably get 3" of sand into the bowl. Probably not the best idea considering it could move and then be in a spot where it won't get enough lighting.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bubble tip was touching the front and back of my tank before it split. That’s 24 inches.

if a LTA is larger… well either one can create havoc in a nano without even needing to move. Just FYI.

Whenever it splits, I just keep the smaller one and start over. Guessing this is not an option with a LTA.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, I'm rooting for you, that Could work But, you'd have to get the nem set in the light and flow it wants. If you change flow, it very well may walk. are you planning on an upgrade any time?

If not, an LTA is probably best left at the LFS. One can, and will eventually be a foot across. That's a large portion of the display space.

InformerAnts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Ultra RBT found a spot and hasn't moved since i bought him. I had a hard enough time getting him off the LSF rock he came with (They sold me the whole rock since they couldn't get him out!) I have NEVER seen him detach, more so slowly move a few inches and stay put. I just bought a new Green LTA today becuase he was beautiful and i couldn't pass up on the price, AND I CANNOT GET HIM TO LATCH, He stung my hammer coral and it looks like hes now dying unfortunately. I have now banished him to a cup in hopes that he will latch down on the glass and i can bury him in the sand.

So there's my experience with the two, I LOVE the look of the LTA, but for ease id start with a bubble tip. All in all it depends on how much work you want to put in, so far my LTA has been a PITA

20230406_220018.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back