Anemone ID help

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was sold as an LTA. It acts similar to an LTA in terms of its preference for the sand bed and it fully withdrawals into the sand when agitated. Tentacles have similar shape characteristics.
However, it's verrucae extend much further down the column and are not the usual coloration and are extremely pronounced, dis similar to an LTA. It has VERY sticky tentacles and none of my clowns are attracted to it. My orange and pink skunks often move into my LTA's, but not this one.
Ideas?
This is it upon introduction to the tank.

This is it now settled in the sand.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first inclination is that it may be a temperature/cold water anemone. Maybe Anthopleura elegantissima? They have similar verrucae. I'm not very good IDing non-hosting species, particularly temperate species, so I'm hoping someone else will chime in. It can explain why your clownfish aren't interested in it.

Did you get it from a reputable retailer? Can they tell you where they got it from? Oftentimes wholesalers will receive multiple specimens of the same species, and if so, we may see more of these.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it potentially be one of these? It's a long shot, but the extreme verrucae reminded me of this species.
They came in en-masse a few years ago and I have heard radio silence ever since. I'm not sure they have done well in captivity.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be one of those rainbow butts.
I have noticed that it hides all day. At first I thought it was just acclimating to the halides, but now I'm thinking it's potentially not photosynthetic.
I purchased it from AquaSD.com. Again, it was labeled an LTA. It sure looked like an LTA in the photos they sent me.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's sting packs a punch! The Mags that were close by are moving away from it.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's definitely NOT a hosting nem! I came home from work and found one of my prized wild caught juvenile pink skunks clowns trapped in its tentacles! I managed to get it loose, but it didn't make it. That really ticks me off!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with OrionN - still pics under white light are (IMO) generally easier to get an ID from with critters like nems.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang man that sucks. Have you contacted AquaSD about it being misidentified? Not sure if they'd do anything about it but they may.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang man that sucks. Have you contacted AquaSD about it being misidentified? Not sure if they'd do anything about it but they may.
They sent me a malu once that was advertised as a magnifica. The picture was awful but I was looking for a mag so I ordered it. They refunded my money and let me keep the malu. Great vendor!

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent them a detailed email yesterday. I have not heard anything from them yet. This has not been a good experience. Of the 6 anemones that I ordered in this shipment, a pink haddoni and 5 LTA's, only 1 of them was the correct anemone. I was told the day of shipment that the pink haddoni had been damaged by an urchin and 3 of the 5 LTA's were poor substitutes for the WYSIWYG nems I ordered, and the last is this mis-ID'd nem.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with OrionN - still pics under white light are (IMO) generally easier to get an ID from with critters like nems.
The first video is under full spectrum halides. Its a pretty clear video. Freeze the image if you need a still shot. I won't be able to get a better pic of it in its current position in the tank. Thanks everyone for the help!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first video is under full spectrum halides. Its a pretty clear video. Freeze the image if you need a still shot. I won't be able to get a better pic of it in its current position in the tank. Thanks everyone for the help!
My best guess would be a Bunodosoma species (most nems I know with columns that warty are coldwater and less likely), possibly B. granuliferum, as the specimen linked below is the closest looking one I know at the moment, but there are a few others it might be:

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best guess would be a Bunodosoma species (most nems I know with columns that warty are coldwater and less likely), possibly B. granuliferum, as the specimen linked below is the closest looking one I know at the moment, but there are a few others it might be:
Thank you for that! That's the closest pic I've seen to this specimen. So far, it appears to be doing well. It is not wandering; foot is well seated in the sand next to a large rock as seen in the second video. It hides when the halides come on, but it opens up nicely when the tank is lit by the blue/violet LED's. It stays open all night and morning until the halides come back on, then pulls fully into the sand, almost completely disappearing. It has a great feeding response and coloration/fullness look to be optimal when its out. We will see how long that lasts.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I think ISPeakfortheSeas nailed it! "Red Warty" sea anemone. It appears to hail from tropical waters, Caribbean, Bahamas, Florida, Gulf of Mexico, and should handle 78-degree tank temperature.
It really is beautiful, but.......problem is, I don't want to take a chance with it 'catching' any more of my clowns. Wild pink skunks are hard to come by.

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good catch! I recognized the animal as one from Florida but I couldn't find the ID. Funny enough, I can never seem to find these for sale. I used to have a few back in 2012 but now I don't see them anywhere.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good catch! I recognized the animal as one from Florida but I couldn't find the ID. Funny enough, I can never seem to find these for sale. I used to have a few back in 2012 but now I don't see them anywhere.
How did they do for you back then? How often did you target feed them?
Thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back