Bubble Tip Shrinking After New Anemone

Demoic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a second Anemone to my tank and my original has started shrinking. My first was a white bubble tip and it seems to move closer to the new rock flower anemone. The day after it seemed to get close it seemed to move across the tank the very next day and has been shrinking since. It sense has moved closer to the rock flower one but still different from where it was prior to the introduction of the new one but it keeps shrinking back. I wasn't sure if anyone had any recommendations to help with this? Prior to the introduction of the Bubble tip was doing good. I'm not sure if the new one stressed it or what and if anything could be done. Any suggestions would be great.

707Nick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two anemones are at chemical warfare. Good luck

OP
OP
Demoic

Demoic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been white since I got it from my LFS. I suppose it's possible it's not a bubble tip but that's what they told me it was.
9005924271406900576.jpg

OP
OP
Demoic

Demoic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I read somewhere this wasn't really a thing and these 2 were compatible :loudly-crying-face:. Anything you can do if this is the case?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep rock flowers and bubble tips with no issues. If the bubble tip is moving it's because it us unwell or unhappy and looking for a new spot to attach. The bubble tip was first in as were mine and the addition of a rock flower should not cause the hubble tip to move unless the rock flower was placed too close or its a very small tank. JMO

OP
OP
Demoic

Demoic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed them about 10"-12" apart from each other. It's a waterbox 50.3

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I read somewhere this wasn't really a thing and these 2 were compatible :loudly-crying-face:. Anything you can do if this is the case?
IMO they should be fine together but obviously not right next to each other but you can't really control a bubble tip once it goes on the move. At least I have not been able to.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not a BTA on the left. Clear verrucae present. Tents aren't normal though.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh is that supposed to be the RFA? I wouldn't expect a BTA and RFA to get along/touching.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's always stretched out like that, it's not normal RFA behavior.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running carbon if not run some just in case of any toxins getting released.

garygb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anemone you're calling a rock flower anemone is a actually Phymanthus buitendijki. The common name is Borneman anemone. They are in the same genus (Phymanthus) as the rock flower (Phymanthus crucifer), but not the same species. Some people on here keep this species and like them. I believe they multiply rather quickly. And, they may be a bit more powerful in their sting compared to rock flower anemones. But, if you put space between the Borneman and the BTA, you should be fine.

You might want to search a bit on the anemone, now that you have a correct ID. I'm sure you will find some information on that species, they have been in the hobby for many years now.

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing ID! Never seen that species before. It's also common for new anemones to carry unexpected bacteria to the tank that a captive-bred BTA might not have experienced before. My bet is that it's chemical warfare (which ramps up after a contact sting) like the other replies say, but if the symptoms persist after carbon & wc, you might want to treat with chemiclean to see if that helps.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back