Bubbler depth for emergency aeration?

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm considering getting a battery powered dual bubbler with no power detection to act as an emergency aeration system for my 40g breeder in case the power goes out why I'm at work.

My question is how far under the water would they need to be to provide decent aeration for 10 hours or so. Does just under the surface work along as they are creating surface agitation? Would rather them no run to the bottom of the tank if possible for appearance purposes.

Thanks!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm considering getting a battery powered dual bubbler with no power detection to act as an emergency aeration system for my 40g breeder in case the power goes out why I'm at work.

My question is how far under the water would they need to be to provide decent aeration for 10 hours or so. Does just under the surface work along as they are creating surface agitation? Would rather them no run to the bottom of the tank if possible for appearance purposes.

Thanks!
Run them wherever you want in the tank.

Upvote 0

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some informal testing during one water change of a freshwater tank (where I drain the water down to like 3-4").

Leftmost range is at the lowest depth. Oxygen was trending downwards and I became concerned about the fish so I switched to an oxygen concentrator which caused a rapid rise in oxygen levels.

Middle range is at around 11" of depth and right range about 17".

So, yeah, it seems depth matters. Numerous studies have found that oxygen transfer from a bubble plume is >95% bubble and <5% surface transfer.

image.png.2d9cbdc1533d0961f6807130a4a52228.png

Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back