Bubbles on Chaeto?

MangoSentinels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

I just noticed some bubbles on my Chaeto today. I am wondering if I should be concerned or just let it be.

50 Gallon SCA Cube
25 Gallon Sump

Ocellaris Clownfish
Banggai Cardinalfish
Midas Blenny
BlackCap Basslet
One Spot FoxFace Rabbitfish (Juvenile 2")
Juvenile Mandarin Dragonet

I've been feeding heavier these days (about 3x a day) and I give Phytofeast to the refugium every night. Algae has started to build up in my sump but no algae in my DT.

Fish are doing great. Coral are doing great.

Can anyone identify if this is Bubble Algae or is the Chaeto actually pearling? Thanks in advance

thumbnail_20210625_184257.jpg

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be cyano. I put a small powerhead in my refugium to prevent stagnant water. I have to clean it out every month or less, but the cyano that I had is gone.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if your tank runs out of iron, the chaeto will die of starvation. I dose an iron supplement once a week to keep my chaeto growing.

If your chaeto is unhealthy, then GHA and other stuff will start growing on it, consuming it as it dies and decomposes. Dying/dead chaeto (limp and grey) releases all the phosphate and nitrate that it had previously removed/consumed.

OP
OP
M

MangoSentinels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if your tank runs out of iron, the chaeto will die of starvation. I dose an iron supplement once a week to keep my chaeto growing.

If your chaeto is unhealthy, then GHA and other stuff will start growing on it, consuming it as it dies and decomposes. Dying/dead chaeto (limp and grey) releases all the phosphate and nitrate that it had previously removed/consumed.

GHA is definitely starting to grow on it, but it is still green and healthy for now. I just ordered Chaeto Gro from Brightwell Aquatics and will be supplementing. Thank you!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%

Back