Bubbles on rock

GiannisK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these small clear bubbles just sitting on my rock. My tank is pretty new and it’s recently had a diatom explosion. Any idea what these are? Are they just pockets of oxygen from diatom photosynthesis? Thanks!

IMG_9242.jpeg

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hie can I know if it’s dinos without buying a microscope?
There is a method that worked for me, however this is just O2 from bubbles. If you want to be sure, this is what you can do.
First grab 2 jars, then fill one with 1/2 cup of water with the algae that is creating the bubbles, then shake it up for 30 seconds. Then take a coffee filter or paper towel and filter the water through it. Wait about 1-3 hours, out the jar in a bright light area, then if you see small brown strings forming in the water, it is Dino’s. Other types of algae will not reform. I do my see any Dino’s in your tank though.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these small clear bubbles just sitting on my rock. My tank is pretty new and it’s recently had a diatom explosion. Any idea what these are? Are they just pockets of oxygen from diatom photosynthesis? Thanks!

IMG_9242.jpeg
It's quite common in new tanks.

As long as your nitrates are measurable, they're likely nothing to be concerned about.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 38 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 45 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back