Budget Lighting: 54 Gallon Corner Softies/LPS?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I actually saw that and ordered one, but now I'm concerned because I can't find a hanging kit anywhere. The only sites that have them are in Europe
From a quick glance that " may" be an issue
The hanging kit looks to have a " specialty" screw used to convert the cover thread holes from a sort of wood screw to a machine screw.
Metric most likely of course.

I can't find any specs on the orig screws (didn' t try terribly hard) which would give you a possible choice on diy ( if you exhaust or can't won't order it from overseas.
Considering the probable package size shipping from say the UK shouldn't be horrendous) options.
Keep in mind the orig screws held the cover down so that must be designed for.

Info is scant so consider this more fyi.
There is almost always a diy solution including some creativity with the included mounting arm. Think upside down. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

astrick117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a quick glance that " may" be an issue
The hanging kit looks to have a " specialty" screw used to convert the cover thread holes from a sort of wood screw to a machine screw.
Metric most likely of course.

I can't find any specs on the orig screws (didn' t try terribly hard) which would give you a possible choice on diy ( if you exhaust or can't won't order it from overseas.
Considering the probable package size shipping from say the UK shouldn't be horrendous) options.
Keep in mind the orig screws held the cover down so that must be designed for.

Info is scant so consider this more fyi.
There is almost always a diy solution including some creativity with the included mounting arm. Think upside down. :)
Thanks- I'm going to reach out to them and see what the deal is. i noticed that they remove the original screws and replace them with some sort of two way threaded rod.

If I can buy a kit, I'm thinking I can remove the screws, figure out the size/ threaded pattern and maybe find an eye hook that would thread in that I could run some wire through.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks- I'm going to reach out to them and see what the deal is. i noticed that they remove the original screws and replace them with some sort of two way threaded rod.

If I can buy a kit, I'm thinking I can remove the screws, figure out the size/ threaded pattern and maybe find an eye hook that would thread in that I could run some wire through.
Well for 50 euros shipping and about 23 euros for the kit you can get it here .
https://mksshop.de/epages/34ad456e-eaf1-4da6-b075-1420e40d098f.sf/sec70c10a1aef/?Locale=en_GB&ViewObjectPath=/Shops/34ad456e-eaf1-4da6-b075-1420e40d098f/Categories/Shipping&ChangeAction=SaveLocale&ChangeObjectID=84772394

$76 US

OP
OP
A

astrick117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh...I absolutely refuse to pay more for shipping than the actual item I'm looking to buy. Hopefully Maxspect can give me a better option.
I'm currently not convinced that the orig screws are as " special" as some pics make them look.
Probably machine type threads or should be

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it is a corner tank,its harder to measure than a standard rectangle. I believe the radius of the tank (from the back corner to one front corner) is roughly 27". From front corner to the other front corner, I think it is 39".

How tall is the tank?

OP
OP
A

astrick117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently not convinced that the orig screws are as " special" as some pics make them look.
Probably machine type threads or should be
Yea agreed. I'm thinking if I take them to a local hardware store they should be able to find something that will match.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back