Budget lighting

Eradliff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, i’m currently using an Aqua knight on my 14 gallon cube tank, but going to be upgrading to a 20 gallon peninsula tank, the dimensions are roughly 24L 12W 16H.
I’ve been looking into the tuna blue by kessil but i’m afraid it won’t be strong enough to reach the bottom. I’m only doing lps so par doesn’t need to be extreme but is there anything better that doesn’t make me throw up at the price? Thanks!

OP
OP
E

Eradliff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d really like to stay under $250
and all i want is for it to grow my corals, i don’t need it to be super smart i’m still fairly new to this so simple is best, i’ve heard AI is good but just wanted some other opinions before i make a decision

OP
OP
E

Eradliff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which kessil were you looking at? The a360x can easily penetrate that deep, Especially with the 55 degree lens.
I was looking at the A80 it was the first recommendation to me and i like the dials on top

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d really like to stay under $250
and all i want is for it to grow my corals, i don’t need it to be super smart i’m still fairly new to this so simple is best, i’ve heard AI is good but just wanted some other opinions before i make a decision
For Kessils and AI, the 160 or a single Prime would be in that range and sort of in the same class. They aren't terribly powerful , but might be okay for LPS in most of that footprint if you hand them sort of high and crank them up.
I was looking at the A80 it was the first recommendation to me and i like the dials on top
That light is really weak, at only 15 Watts. I don't think you'll be happy there.

For <250$, I would probably get a Noopsyche K7.
I would also look at Amazon specifically at the Smatfarm 95 watt and the Nicrew 100 or 150 watt.

The 'black boxes' like Marsaqua and Viperspectra were popular for a while, but I think Smatfarm/Nicrew would be an upgrade.

OP
OP
E

Eradliff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For Kessils and AI, the 160 or a single Prime would be in that range and sort of in the same class. They aren't terribly powerful , but might be okay for LPS in most of that footprint if you hand them sort of high and crank them up.

That light is really weak, at only 15 Watts. I don't think you'll be happy there.

For <250$, I would probably get a Noopsyche K7.
I would also look at Amazon specifically at the Smatfarm 95 watt and the Nicrew 100 or 150 watt.

The 'black boxes' like Marsaqua and Viperspectra were popular for a while, but I think Smatfarm/Nicrew would be an upgrade.
I’ve seen the Nicrew mentioned a couple of times, so i’ll definitely look into that one, thanks for your help!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 7.7%

Back