Budget protein skimmers

caribbeanreefsurfer

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 15, 2025
Messages
23
Reaction score
15
Location
Ontario
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have a 30 gallon tall tank and I need a protein skimmer but I’m not sure which one to get. Can you help me with some recommendations for budget HOB options or in tank options. I’m looking for recommendations of products you’ve personally tried. I don’t have a sump and my tank isn’t an AIO tank. I’m aware of the more expensive brands, I’m looking for a good under dog for medium bio load. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
 
the ones I have tried on my 32 gallon are: AquaMaxx 1.5, the AquaReady Bullet 2.0, and the coralife hob. The Aquamaxx is the best, its a great skimmer. The Aquaready is like a cheaper version of the aquamaxx, its ok, but after using 2 years I am having little issue's pop up. I wouldn't suggest the coralife, it needed daily dialing in and once it leaked on the floor, but that almost 2 years ago maybe they are better now. I've also tried the fluval on smaller tanks but I didn't like that. Thats all I got, good luck
 
Check out IOAIO skimmers.
I use one and it's great.
Performed better than maxspect jump sk250. Way better!
 
Grab a used higher quality unit on marketplace. Skimmers last years and years. I’m running a reef octopus that is from the mid 2010s.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new