Budget skimmer recommendations.

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this gets hashed a lot, but I'm looking to upgrade the skimmer in my soon to be heavily stocked 75 Gallon mixed reef with a 30 gallon DIY sump. Baffles are 8" high so I need to keep water levels at or below 8". I'd like one with an automatic neck cleaner, and a drain in the cup, I like to run my skimmate on the dry side, DC pump is a plus Budget up to $400, used is perfectly fine. I've used Bubble magus in the past, but the pump gave out after a year and a half, so I'm not really comfortable with them.

Last edited:

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finding one with an auto neck cleaner for $400 or less is not likely to happen. I know you said you are not comfortable with Bubble Magus, but I would take a look at the Elite series. They use a Sicce (one of the most reliable available) pump instead of the terrible Atman pumps on the standard skimmers. You could also look at Simplicity skimmers. They are a budget DC skimmer, but they seem to get good reviews from those that have them.

OP
OP
I

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finding one with an auto neck cleaner for $400 or less is not likely to happen. I know you said you are not comfortable with Bubble Magus, but I would take a look at the Elite series. They use a Sicce (one of the most reliable available) pump instead of the terrible Atman pumps on the standard skimmers. You could also look at Simplicity skimmers. They are a budget DC skimmer, but they seem to get good reviews from those that have them.

Yeah, I know that's a tall order at best, I can stretch the budget if needed but I'd look for used first. I just took a look at the Elite series, they look like a very compelling option.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at a tunze 9410 dc right at $400. Less if on sale. Lift cup off to clean without turning off pump.
Anti overlow too.
You can feed, work in the tank and the thing justs keeps on skimming.
Clean the cup. Put it back in and walk away. No adjustment needed.
I have one on my 120 and 45 frag systems both with 40 breeder sumps.
No auto neck cleaner though.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the reef octopus with dc pump, have been running it for 5 years now. If you are willing to extend the budget, the 150INT is $452.99. Then you could buy the neck cleaner down the road. I wanted the neck cleaner for mine, but don't have the room in my stand.

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep it simple and efficient just get a lifereef, thing will run forever. Plus you can run whatever pump you want.

U

User1

View Badges
Keep it simple and efficient just get a lifereef, thing will run forever. Plus you can run whatever pump you want.

Very true. Will also support future upgrades which will save you money in the long run.

OP - if you have a budget and hard set on it to include your wishlist look at used options. You may be able to find something that will work. If not you could always buy a skimmer today that supports the feature then add it later.

Personally I don't like them but can understand why some do.

OP
OP
I

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true. Will also support future upgrades which will save you money in the long run.

OP - if you have a budget and hard set on it to include your wishlist look at used options. You may be able to find something that will work. If not you could always buy a skimmer today that supports the feature then add it later.

Personally I don't like them but can understand why some do.

Used is definitely an option.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have owed a lot of skimmers over the years including RO & lifereef but for skimming on a budget check out the coral box DC skimmers I’m currently running one and they are simply amazing for the price point.. You could get the D300 or D500 and add on a neck cleaner for around $400 total

BE62A905-1F11-4D37-9963-D811C874AEA1.jpeg

OP
OP
I

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have owed a lot of skimmers over the years including RO & lifereef but for skimming on a budget check out the coral box DC skimmers I’m currently running one and they are simply amazing for the price point.. You could get the D300 or D500 and add on a neck cleaner for around $400 total

BE62A905-1F11-4D37-9963-D811C874AEA1.jpeg

Those look very compelling. Are they rated at capacity. Or do they follow most Skimmer manufacturers in that I would need to double up capacity.

OP
OP
I

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a bead on a used Lifereef SVS2-24 for $200 without a pump. I'm thinking of using a Jebao DCP 4000 for the pump, and would purchase a neck cleaner to go with it. Neck cleaner recommendations, thoughts on pump?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back