Building a custom set up or buying an all in one

Jesse Evans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I am new to the saltwater aquarium world and I’m looking for some advice on setting up a new tank.

I have a $10,000 budget.
Glass tank, not acrylic.
I want corals and fish.
Space isn’t an issue.

I was looking at the Red Sea max s 650, and truthfully I almost bought it but I feel like it’s a tad on the spendy side. It looks like some really high quality stuff but it’s seems as though I could “build” a larger and more custom set up for less $$$. One thing that I really liked about it was the low iron glass.

One of my other hobbies is fine woodworking so building a stand is a possibility.

Readyyyyyyyy, GO!

Thanks;)

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Let’s start with how big of a tank you want and build from there. Prices of custom tanks can be pretty crazy even for small ones. Personally I’d rather put money into the inhabitants and not the glass around them :)

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Your budget is pretty insane for people just getting into the hobby compared to the average reefer so it might be worth considering how interested you really are. 10 grand sounds like a lot but you can easily blow through that on a non custom tank depending on what kind of equipment you want to use.

Larger is not always better, especially if you're not looking forward to the increased costs with size - namely more lights, powerheads, larger return pumps, more sand and live rock, etc.

I think the 5 and 6 foot reefers are excellent for their price and I'd really consider one of them over the S series or going fully custom on a first time tank. I could go through 7 or 8k on a 750 reefer before even getting to live stock for example. Equipment and redundancy is the expensive part of this hobby.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R !!! Building your custom setup will save you a lot of $$$ and also the choice to make your own size tank and design and you will have more $$$ for fish and corals and some good equipment's like skimmers, wavemakers, etc.

klisby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I am new to the saltwater aquarium world and I’m looking for some advice on setting up a new tank.

I have a $10,000 budget.
Glass tank, not acrylic.
I want corals and fish.
Space isn’t an issue.

I was looking at the Red Sea max s 650, and truthfully I almost bought it but I feel like it’s a tad on the spendy side. It looks like some really high quality stuff but it’s seems as though I could “build” a larger and more custom set up for less $$$. One thing that I really liked about it was the low iron glass.

One of my other hobbies is fine woodworking so building a stand is a possibility.

Readyyyyyyyy, GO!

Thanks;)
I have the RED SEA MAX S (the 500). Pros on this is overflow all the way in the back, pumps and wires hidden.
Cons. Sump can be a little small, skimmer needs to be replaced.

Today, I think I maybe would go with the Reefer instead - but that being said absolutely love the look of my S-500 and have no regrets. Beautiful aquarium!

OP
OP
Jesse Evans

Jesse Evans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Let’s start with how big of a tank you want and build from there. Prices of custom tanks can be pretty crazy even for small ones. Personally I’d rather put money into the inhabitants and not the glass around them :)

I WANT a 20,000 gallon

Seriously though, I would really like a 265. I like that size.

OP
OP
Jesse Evans

Jesse Evans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Your budget is pretty insane for people just getting into the hobby compared to the average reefer so it might be worth considering how interested you really are. 10 grand sounds like a lot but you can easily blow through that on a non custom tank depending on what kind of equipment you want to use.

Larger is not always better, especially if you're not looking forward to the increased costs with size - namely more lights, powerheads, larger return pumps, more sand and live rock, etc.

I think the 5 and 6 foot reefers are excellent for their price and I'd really consider one of them over the S series or going fully custom on a first time tank. I could go through 7 or 8k on a 750 reefer before even getting to live stock for example. Equipment and redundancy is the expensive part of this hobby.

My willingness to spend $10k should tell ya how interested I am.

Cost of maintenance isn’t a concern either.

I would really like to avoid the regret of going too small from the start. I will certainly take a closer look at the reefer line! Thanks for that!

Dennis McGrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always get a starter tank with a much lower budget, with the plan of getting the larger tank once you've successfully established the smaller tank. Then if you decide, it's not for you, you didn't sink 10k on a mistake.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start a smaller tank and learn and use it as a QT for a big one.

Many people enjoy building the system as much as running it. Other people buy a turnkey system someone installs and maintains for them.

It's your money do what makes you the happiest. There is a lot of really good equipment out there now. From good but basic to custom colors with all the doodads.

Bob2bob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are into woodworking, make your own -- you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of making the stand -- at least I did. It will also allow you to build in some nicer features.

You'll be able to make the stand to very specifically:
  1. fit your space - size wise and appearance wise
  2. be your ideal height (for both under the stand height and for tank height)
  3. have a good sized sump (All in one sumps tend to be on smaller side)
  4. be over engineered. I've heard 0 issues about all in one stands but they seem (to me) to have way less capability than propoerly built stands using 2x4/6

Also, you'll be able to get the right size tank and will likely end up spending less money in place of added labor. Again I enjoy the labor or building so that's a good trade-off to me but may not be to you.

I was able to build a 75 with a water station, custom stand, custom sump, custom light thing, and add all the equipment and get it ready for livestock for $3500. I've detailed every penny in my thread. You have almost 3x that so even with the way larger 265 and equipment that goes with that should be able to keep it significantly under a budget of 10k even if you buy a custom tank and sump.

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say a 75 or 120g to start is a nice place to start with. Plenty of room for creative aquascaping, and most of the primary equipment for it can be transferred to a larger setup if you go with oversized pumps.

I started with a 40G and had probably 400 in it not including livestock and corals.

My 75g I just finished I have about 1200. in it with some items being used. Like the tank, light and sump.

You can look into it here.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/started-my-75g-build-finally.386159/

But the single most important rule of this hobby....

Patience...
Patience...
Patience...

Take your time and do your research. If you rush into it odds of failure and having your tank crash go way up.

Last edited:

Mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 years ago, I ordered a custom tank and fancy furniture grade stand from my LFS. I really enjoyed the tank and the build. Choosing equipment and doing the planning is part of the fun. Recently, due to kids taking over the house, I decided to go slightly smaller and move the tank to our finished basement. I wasn't in the mood to do another custom tank, so I opted for a Red Sea Reefer 625xxl. I'm really impressed with this tank. The sump is glass and well-thought out. The tank overflow is silent, and the thick rimless glass is really polished. The new larger reefer series use plywood not particle board under the laminate. I think this tank can run a long time in it's new place. You can't go wrong either way.

OP
OP
Jesse Evans

Jesse Evans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for your input! I am thinking.......I shall inform everyone of what I decide!

OP
OP
Jesse Evans

Jesse Evans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went with a 72x36x24. That’s 36” of water depth. I know lots of people will say I’m crazy and maybe they are right! Made my own stand and I went a little over budget with everything. I spent about $18,000! Pretty sure I have everything I need! I will post an update of what I have created! Thank you all again for your input!

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went with a 72x36x24. That’s 36” of water depth. I know lots of people will say I’m crazy and maybe they are right! Made my own stand and I went a little over budget with everything. I spent about $18,000! Pretty sure I have everything I need! I will post an update of what I have created! Thank you all again for your input!

Who built the tank?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm one of those who enjoy doing my own work installing overflows sumps etc . I will use a factory tank & set it up how I want it . iv'e never owned an all in one. The filter compartments are far too small for my likes .

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have suggested going big as you want from the start, sounds like you got a good size.

I'm a carpenter as well, I know how that goes, why waste time building for what you don't plan to stick with.

While I agree there can be some benefit to starting smaller, mainly cost and maintenance, the trade off is more stability w/ volume, it's actually more forgiving.

Get some pics posted, would like to see stand as well as tank.

OP
OP
Jesse Evans

Jesse Evans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C5E29B2D-3543-477C-8EEF-1FF46C706E3B.jpeg
F62210B0-9063-4284-A63A-010180674738.jpeg
C5E29B2D-3543-477C-8EEF-1FF46C706E3B.jpeg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 168 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%

Back