Building a Healthy Tank

Davittio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's going on everyone? I wanted to talk about building and maintaining a healthy tank. Yes, this is a very broad topic so let me narrow down the discussion to what I'm looking for...
First the background info: I have a 35 cube with a 5gal overflow on the back. Currently, in said overflow, I'm running a sponge at the inlet to the overflow, 2nd stage has Chemipure elite and a filter bag with some porous rock. Stage 3 has the heater, filter floss, and a sponge filter, 4th stage is just the return pump. Light, AI prime 16 HD typically I try to keep the lighting under 50% at all times. Livesand and basic white porous rock (no live rock. Last time I had live rock it was full of tube worms). Water changes are weekly with scrubbing of the glass and vacuuming.
The question/concern is the algae growth. I have some on the sand but typically small amounts I can just suck up with my vacuum weekly. My rock is starting to coat though and it concerns me. This tank was reset 3 months ago when I moved. Before I had a major algae issue and tube worms that began to invade all my zoa colonies and ended up killing my 3 colonies. When I moved I took my fish out and scrubbed it down heavily to get rid of everything and essentially reset it. I'm trying to keep the tank healthy, clear, and clean before I add corals back. My bio-load is 2 clown fish and 3 snails, that's it. I use RO/DI water from LFS, just unsure why algae (looks to be the beginning of green hair algae) persist. Or, is the small layer over the rocks good? I'm waiting before I add corals I want to make sure the tank is cycled of course but also I want the tank to be healthy. If I'm just overreacting and some algae are ok let me know! If you think I'm still doing something wrong please let me know. I want to give my clowns and future coral a healthy environment and I'm open to suggestions/corrections.

If you need more details I'm happy to provide them. I can re-test parameters after work today and give y'all pictures of the rock for visual aid.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What's going on everyone? I wanted to talk about building and maintaining a healthy tank. Yes, this is a very broad topic so let me narrow down the discussion to what I'm looking for...
First the background info: I have a 35 cube with a 5gal overflow on the back. Currently, in said overflow, I'm running a sponge at the inlet to the overflow, 2nd stage has Chemipure elite and a filter bag with some porous rock. Stage 3 has the heater, filter floss, and a sponge filter, 4th stage is just the return pump. Light, AI prime 16 HD typically I try to keep the lighting under 50% at all times. Livesand and basic white porous rock (no live rock. Last time I had live rock it was full of tube worms). Water changes are weekly with scrubbing of the glass and vacuuming.
The question/concern is the algae growth. I have some on the sand but typically small amounts I can just suck up with my vacuum weekly. My rock is starting to coat though and it concerns me. This tank was reset 3 months ago when I moved. Before I had a major algae issue and tube worms that began to invade all my zoa colonies and ended up killing my 3 colonies. When I moved I took my fish out and scrubbed it down heavily to get rid of everything and essentially reset it. I'm trying to keep the tank healthy, clear, and clean before I add corals back. My bio-load is 2 clown fish and 3 snails, that's it. I use RO/DI water from LFS, just unsure why algae (looks to be the beginning of green hair algae) persist. Or, is the small layer over the rocks good? I'm waiting before I add corals I want to make sure the tank is cycled of course but also I want the tank to be healthy. If I'm just overreacting and some algae are ok let me know! If you think I'm still doing something wrong please let me know. I want to give my clowns and future coral a healthy environment and I'm open to suggestions/corrections.

If you need more details I'm happy to provide them. I can re-test parameters after work today and give y'all pictures of the rock for visual aid.
Monitor ammonia and nitrate and assure ammonia remains steady low
Feed sparingly and reduce white light intensity up front reducing potential of algae

OP
OP
Davittio

Davittio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the comment Vetteguy. I started looking and I think the "Feed Sparingly" is my major issue. My Clowns always come to the top nipping as I get near for food, and so I think they're hungry... Seems from forums they're just fat and happy. I will reduce feeding and continue to monitor parameters. Hopefully I'll see a change.

Back