Building a new tank.

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So go figure we will be upgrading the reefer as it's just too small. We give up on the aggressive tank and going full on big reefer. I will be getting the Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL Deluxe.

Can't decide if I want to stick with aragonite black sand or aragonite pink sand.

I am looking for some feed back with the pumps. Thinking of the gyre or MP 40. What do you guys prefer and why? I do like my MP 40 I have right now.

I will be getting it by spring of next year as I have too many projects right now to deal with tank build.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So go figure we will be upgrading the reefer as it's just too small. We give up on the aggressive tank and going full on big reefer. I will be getting the Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL Deluxe.

Can't decide if I want to stick with aragonite black sand or aragonite pink sand.

I am looking for some feed back with the pumps. Thinking of the gyre or MP 40. What do you guys prefer and why? I do like my MP 40 I have right now.

I will be getting it by spring of next year as I have too many projects right now to deal with tank build.
I have both style pumps and like them both. The gyres are a pain if you want to do a deep clean, unless you go with the icecap versions. Which I have 3 of in my 90/45 dual tank system. The motor blocks come out much easier and you do not have to worry about the side tabs like the maxspects.

For the pumps though, it really depends on what kind of flow you want. The MPs can blast a crazy random flow when synced right and at a good distance from the pump. The gyre style pumps can do the crazy random flow, but from my experience, it does not travel as far. That can be an upside or a downside though. You lose distance, but gain wider flow area.

You could also mix it up. I have a 230 on the back wall of my sps tank and then 2 mp40s on each side. Took a while playing with them, but I ended up with nice left to right back and forth surge that gets broken up and shifted here and there.

Then there is, the no cables in the tank for the MPs. That is always nice.

So many ups with both, but there are a few downs as well. I have been seeing a ton of complaints about the MPs having issues and support being rude and telling you it is your fault it broke. Of course, when something breaks people rant more then when it just works. On the maxspects, the side tabs stay bent out over time if you are roguhnwjen cleaning them. I have had to deal with ecotech before and it was pleasant and I had no issues. Same with maxspect. Both issues were resolved and parts sent at no charge. The maxspect part was my fault and they still warrantied the motorblock. They said “being as you had to bang the motorblock on the table to get it out and it broke during that, we will cover that. The blocks are hard to get out, but shouldn’t be that hard.” With the mp10 I had mess up, it just got noisy after about a month in the tank. Support walked me through taking it apart to find the issue. A bushing/bearing, whatever you want to call it, was cracked. They sent one overnight which was awesome. No issues with either after the parts were put in. The gyre is actually easier to clean now lol.

But enough of that. What are you gonna do with the aggressive tank and the other Red Sea tank? I will be looking for a tank to put at the office.

OP
OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to rid the aggressive tank. I'm keeping my current Red Sea for awhile with any new fish would be going into until I'm fully stocked before ridding it.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to rid the aggressive tank. I'm keeping my current Red Sea for awhile with any new fish would be going into until I'm fully stocked before ridding it.
Let me know about the aggressive tank when you break it down.

OP
OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know about the aggressive tank when you break it down.

I'm ready to break it down. As I need to get stuffs moving as I need to get a regular 90g tank to down size my freshwater so I can have the room for the new tank.

Thinking about ordering the new tank as soon as the new red sea wave pumps are available. They're like the gyre pump with their own controller that can be controlled with app. They said maybe end of this month or next month.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm ready to break it down. As I need to get stuffs moving as I need to get a regular 90g tank to down size my freshwater so I can have the room for the new tank.

Thinking about ordering the new tank as soon as the new red sea wave pumps are available. They're like the gyre pump with their own controller that can be controlled with app. They said maybe end of this month or next month.
What do you have for fish? :) my 125 seems empty. Ill have a 90 in the fall possibly not drilled. its my reef tank now, but going to upgrade.

OP
OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres a large sailfin tang, large red coris wrasse, metallic squirrel fish, 2 flame cardinals and a green chromis.

OP
OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be fine with them. This is a big sailfin, he can defend himself just fine. The squirrel is a nice size too. 130 for both

OP
OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey you still have anything looking for a new home?
Yes but gonna have to wait for a bit. Have to work on finishing the bathroom. I can almost see the end of the tunnel....lol....the day the fish comes out is the day I take down the tank. But since I took out everything in the bathroom it would be a pain to drain the tank manually.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but gonna have to wait for a bit. Have to work on finishing the bathroom. I can almost see the end of the tunnel....lol....the day the fish comes out is the day I take down the tank. But since I took out everything in the bathroom it would be a pain to drain the tank manually.
Thats fine. I am in no rush. Im letting the tank meld a bit before the next addition anyways. Just keep me informed, as i may be interested in adding a couple to the 220.

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run many different wave pumps...and I really like my MP's..by 10's and 40's...After 8 years they still run. They are worth every penny where I have had Sicce, Tunze, and Hydor fail after a few years, or need impellers, ect...with maintenance my Ecotech's just keep going.

Back