OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it took 2 tries. I do see them. But the more you add and provide a stable environment, the better population you will have. I say let your chaeto thrive, then add pods.
Saw the video, looks like one of the benefits is adding more space to cram the cheato... Hmmm

Could work if I move my tank, I regret putting it where I did.have no room in the back

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regret because of this or because of other aspects.
Where my tank is located I have no room in the back to work so it'll be difficult putting a HOB anything.

Have you noticed any difference in your water paramaters? I put in 3 mangroves yesterday into my tank really interested in all this natural filteration

paul barker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put one in my 32 bio cube first chamber didn't know if it's worth it my po4 is .03 my no3 are 2.5

TheWalkman99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I have in my JBJ. Ping me if you have any other questions and I can send pics. The rear compartment is very similar to mine and I am able to pack all this in my AIO.

AIO Refugium and Filtration Idea.JPG
Sorry to bring up an older post but just getting in to the hobby and I want to set up a refugium to go cheato in my Nuvo 40. Does your refugium work good in the second chamber? For some reason I've seen a lot of people put it in the first chamber under the overflow any thoughts on the possible reason for this?

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bring up an older post but just getting in to the hobby and I want to set up a refugium to go cheato in my Nuvo 40. Does your refugium work good in the second chamber? For some reason I've seen a lot of people put it in the first chamber under the overflow any thoughts on the possible reason for this?
Goes in the first because that's where the media basket fits

Water goes through the overflow hits the sponge then Cheeto then hits some live rocks I have stuffed in there then goes into the 2nd chamber then the return pump

TheWalkman99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goes in the first because that's where the media basket fits

Water goes through the overflow hits the sponge then Cheeto then hits some live rocks I have stuffed in there then goes into the 2nd chamber then the return pump
Does a lot of detritus get caught by the sponge then?
I ask because I would feel like it would be better to run the filter sock/whatever I do for filtration(still real new) then run it through the cheato in the second chamber. I feel like the filtration in the first chamber would help keep the tank cleaner.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does a lot of detritus get caught by the sponge then?
I ask because I would feel like it would be better to run the filter sock/whatever I do for filtration(still real new) then run it through the cheato in the second chamber. I feel like the filtration in the first chamber would help keep the tank cleaner.
The filter socks alone fills the entire chamber and gets dirty quicker.

A media basket is just better, with the filter sponge uptop and you can change it every 3-4 days.

TheWalkman99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The filter socks alone fills the entire chamber and gets dirty quicker.

A media basket is just better, with the filter sponge uptop and you can change it every 3-4 days.
Ok thanks for explaning to me.
You used the IM baskets right? How are they working? Trying to see how those compare to the Intank media baskets.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for explaning to me.
You used the IM baskets right? How are they working? Trying to see how those compare to the Intank media baskets.
I got the intank ones they're a bit of a snugger fit. Haven't had any issues with them. Are you planning on running live rock or Matrix on the last level? I myself have it packed with live rock and then another one of the Chambers has a bag of seachem Matrix.

TheWalkman99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the intank ones they're a bit of a snugger fit. Haven't had any issues with them. Are you planning on running live rock or Matrix on the last level? I myself have it packed with live rock and then another one of the Chambers has a bag of seachem Matrix.
Not real sure yet. Probably sponge, cheato, then rock maybe matrix since I could fit more.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 71.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.9%
Back