Building first large tank. Questions!!!!

chastjw71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,
I'm in the process of building my first large tank, First my quick background, Ive been in this wonderful hobby for several years, had several tanks, from FOWLR to full reefs, so far the largest I've had was a 4ft 150G, but a leak made me break that down in a hurry, live rock, corals and fish are residing in multiple tanks now, waiting for they're future large home. So I'm building well having it professionally built, the tank and stand are done, now trying to design the sump, but my design keeps changing and changing LOL, tank is 72X30X31 290G peninsula tank. My questions are is roughly how much evaporation can I expect? Reason I'm asking is trying to figure out how large my ATO container will need to be, I want to incorprate an all in one sump, containing skimmer chamber, refugium, return, top off etc so planning sizes for whole thing. I'd like to make the refugium as large as possible. I have room under stand for 68X20X40 (very tall stand) any similar sumps out there? or better ideas?? I was also thinking of incorporating my cal, alk, and mag supplement holding chamber into the end of the sump for dosing pump suction, sump will be acrylic, but also thinking maybe separate container for these, even though I'm 99% sure they won't leak into sump being professionally made. Any and all ideas, answers, and especially reason why I should maybe do things differently will be greatly appreciated.

mattjoly85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from the sumps i have seen, and worked on. i would prefer to have a dosing chamber and ato in a separate tank. the reason being dosing chambers can get dirty with build up. and its easier to remove and clean.
as far as leaking into a sump most professional builder are professionals for a reason. the shop i get my tank and sumps built do an amazing job. never had a problem.

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great sump and tank for that matter. Can't wait to see pics!
Not sure on the evaporation, I'm sure it varies by location (humidity).

OP
OP
chastjw71

chastjw71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 150, in the same room, was evap approx 1-2 gallons per day, but surface area was smaller so can I assume double?? More less, just searching for aprox numbers, wow I guess I kinda just answered my own question then LOL. I totally get the cleaning aspect of the dosing chambers, makes good sense.

FlyinBryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you plan on adding water to ATO and would you dose kalk thru it? IMO I wouldn't combine them all.

OP
OP
chastjw71

chastjw71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the stand is steal, with wood panels connected via magnets, so all panels can be easily removed and accessed, so water will be added via 5 gallon square jugs, with 1" flex hose connected to lid, kinda like a racing gas can.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 9.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 27.3%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 67 48.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back