Building manifold question

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a varios2 pump to run a dedicated manifold off it in my sump. The line will.be 3/4 from pum . Then Tees to 2 media reactors. Also a uv sterilizer off 3/4 line. They all will have gate valves. Question is 3/4 from pump. Should it T to 3/4 uv first then have the 1/2 reducing Tees after that to branch to the 2 media reactors. Or.

3/4 from pump to the 2 reduction tees to 1/ . And then the 3/4 PVC continues to uv after that?

Does it even matter? Especially since I have gate valves for each one to slow flow and create some back pressure. But i want like 300gph in uv. And not sure about medias

If I make no sense just tell me to draw it. I'll do some hack drawing while at work

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are likely getting considerably less flow out of that pump to your display tank as it is without a manifold. Likely 500 gph depending on how much head pressure. Any reduction in pipe size will get a corresponding reduction in flow. If the pump in new and unused you may want to return it and go a size or two higher negating any worry about loss of flow due to increased head pressure from plumbing.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^Correct 3/4” plumbing is going to kill your flow due to fluid dynamic friction. If you have to use 3/4 you’ll need a bigger pump to get enough flow.

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are likely getting considerably less flow out of that pump to your display tank as it is without a manifold. Likely 500 gph depending on how much head pressure. Any reduction in pipe size will get a corresponding reduction in flow. If the pump in new and unused you may want to return it and go a size or two higher negating any worry about loss of flow due to increased head pressure from plumbing.

It is not going to my tank as a return its just gonna pull water from sump and run through the media filters and uv and then dump back in sump. Still think I need a larger pump?

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a good energy efficient pump to run 2 aquamaxx reactors and a 25w aquaUV. I can go up to varios4 1000gph. I didnt have to use 3/4 but already bought the red pipe. And and thought carbon wants low flow and gfo wants low flow. And then uv want low flow...

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an S2 through both my chiller and dual UV canisters on 3/4" lines. I get about 300 GPH max on my neptune flow meter with this setup. You may be able to get away with an S2 but an S4 might be a better bet to guarantee the flow you want. The way my UV is setup causes a bit of excess head pressure since they're mount up higher and stacked. When I was running the s2 on my chiller only with 3/4" lines I got 400 gph. So depending on your set up there's a chance you could get about 300 gph through the UV and 100 gph through the reactors which is good (that's what I run through my reactor).

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's safe the varios 4. Will be plenty. and then creating manifold so I have the pump branch to uv on 3/4 then reducing Tees after that to go to 1/2 for reactors. Then plug end. Or a loop of 3/4 and branch to 1/2 in middle. Drew a 3year old quick sketch.
15612504608152365048811730726004.jpg

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an S2 through both my chiller and dual UV canisters on 3/4" lines. I get about 300 GPH max on my neptune flow meter with this setup. You may be able to get away with an S2 but an S4 might be a better bet to guarantee the flow you want. The way my UV is setup causes a bit of excess head pressure since they're mount up higher and stacked. When I was running the s2 on my chiller only with 3/4" lines I got 400 gph. So depending on your set up there's a chance you could get about 300 gph through the UV and 100 gph through the reactors which is good (that's what I run through my reactor).

Sounds like s4. Running full speed and then just cutting the gates down a little to a visual slow flow. Sounds like s4 with a lower speed just wont cut it

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like s4. Running full speed and then just cutting the gates down a little to a visual slow flow. Sounds like s4 with a lower speed just wont cut it

Hard to say exactly unless you plan to run flow meters but I'm sure an S4 on full speed would be a good choice as well (the 3/4" pipe will keep the flow moderated). Here's what my S2 is up against so I think your simple design would probably have much less head pressure than this and work good as well on full speed. It's also being pumped about 3 feet from the inside of my sump to the exterior here and being run through both the chiller and UVs.

img_20181228_153718-jpg.928841

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say exactly unless you plan to run flow meters but I'm sure an S4 on full speed would be a good choice as well (the 3/4" pipe will keep the flow moderated). Here's what my S2 is up against so I think your simple design would probably have much less head pressure than this and work good as well on full speed. It's also being pumped about 3 feet from the inside of my sump to the exterior here and being run through both the chiller and UVs.

img_20181006_182916-jpg.928847
Ok. Ya it's only gonna be pumped out my sump and clamped to back of inside of stand. So only 15 inches up and over maybe over 1 ft.

How should I plumb it. All have own gates. But uv first or a 3/4 line to uv and in between branch to 1/2. Not sure if one will be bad for flow or not. Not a plumber. Ahah

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any reason why you need to reduce at the pump? You could do 1" across the main feed and reduce at the T going to each reactor?

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd second @JoshH recommendation which would allow the S2 to prove a bit more flow and be perfect for what you need.

I've also run an S4 on 1/2" line BTW and was getting about 190 gph on full speed there through a single chaeto reactor. The 1/2" lines will really restrict the flow so you will probably want to leave those valves open full and dial down the UV flow as needed. I think either design will be fine so go with whatever fits your space the best.

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any reason why you need to reduce at the pump? You could do 1" across the main feed and reduce at the T going to each reactor?
i mean i can just order more red 1" pvc and use it. i already ordered a 45" piece of red 3/4 for this but i dont have to use it. then branch 1 inch to 3/4 for UV and then branch the 1 inch to Tees and reduce the tees to 1/2 some how.

cheaper to buy 1 more 1 inch pipe for 10 bucks at BRS then to upgrade to a larger higher engery using pump..

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i mean i can just order more red 1" pvc and use it. i already ordered a 45" piece of red 3/4 for this but i dont have to use it. then branch 1 inch to 3/4 for UV and then branch the 1 inch to Tees and reduce the tees to 1/2 some how.

cheaper to buy 1 more 1 inch pipe for 10 bucks at BRS then to upgrade to a larger higher engery using pump..

My thoughts exactly;)

So I would get the 1" Red PVC, plus 1" Ts (How ever many you like in whatever colors you like) be sure to buy a couple extra incase you screw one up gluing. Then you will need to hunt around for a couple reducing bushings ideally. To go from the one inch down to 3/4 or half inch you need for the reactors and UV

Oh and if you are plumbing the UV with 3/4" than just use some of the 3/4" you've already bought to do so.

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i do the 1" trunk and reduce to 3/4 for UV and then reduce the 1" to 1/2 for 2 reactors? Varios 2 should be plenty to get 300-400 gph out of UV and 100-150 out of both reactors?

if thats the case ill just do that. im sure i can fit the 1 inch... they dont make a 1" to 1/2 bushing i dont think but i got a clean creative way.

so help me spend money.. final answer Varios 2 with 1"???? ;)

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts exactly;)

So I would get the 1" Red PVC, plus 1" Ts (How ever many you like in whatever colors you like) be sure to buy a couple extra incase you screw one up gluing. Then you will need to hunt around for a couple reducing bushings ideally. To go from the one inch down to 3/4 or half inch you need for the reactors and UV

Oh and if you are plumbing the UV with 3/4" than just use some of the 3/4" you've already bought to do so.

thanks for help.. i can always run it from a bucket of water and fill buckets to get a idea how much i get or how much i need to dial it in before i strap it all in

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me I would stick with the V2 and the 1". You are correct that a 1" to 1/2" bushing might not exist but I will scour my resources to confirm that for you in the schedule 40 that is

;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

\/ \/ \/​

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 37 63.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back